FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage goes dark from AE to FCP, no option to change gamma level in fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Valda
Footage goes dark from AE to FCP, no option to change gamma level in fcp
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:27:03 am

Please help, I color corrected a whole movie using after effects and magic bullet,
The workflow i used was to duplicate and consolidate FCP project ( media manager) then color correct source files in After effects and reconnect back into fcp, all good, the problem is that when i go from after effects to fcp footage gets darker,
When i export cut from fcp and watch it in quicktime looks fine if i have the "enable final cut studio color compatibility s checked off " if i check that on footage goes a bit darker again :( , i can see its a 1.8. 2.2 gamma issue, am very confused please help , I need to export final movie and have color llok just as when i was working with after effects, when I go into fcp item properties, then format , there is no option to change the gamma on footage ( source ) gamma level says nothing and no way to change it....

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Footage goes dark from AE to FCP, no option to change gamma level in fcp
on Apr 25, 2012 at 4:37:33 pm

Are you changing codecs? How are you color managing in ae? Overall I don't recommend using ae as a color correction tool, def not what it's meant to do.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Gabriel Valda
on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:21:16 pm

yeah footage is hdcam originally and changred into prorezhq, had to use AE to be able to use Magic bullet and denoiser since this plugins crash my fcp ...

any ideas or solutions to the gamma problem ?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 25, 2012 at 11:18:13 pm

It is important to know how you are actually comparing. In AE were you watching on an external montior via a proper card like Kona, Decklink, Matrox? In FCP are you also monitoring via those cards to a proper monitor? If so and there is a difference then the issue is likely the choice of codec.

If you are just monitoring on FCP's viewer or using quicktime on a computer monitor, there are far too many variables to know if there is actually a shift or if it is non standard monitoring.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Valda
on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:01:15 am

only used computer monitor (apple display) when i watch movie in quicktime (exported from fcp) i looks good when "enable final cut studio color compatibily " is turned off, when i turn it on then movie (after effects shots only) looks darker (too dark)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:20:24 am

The grade may have been done dark if it wasn't done with AE using a proper card to an external monitor. If the AE grade was done on a computer monitor set to gamma 1.8 then there is a problem with the grade.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:01:12 am

You cannot evaluate color on a computer monitor.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]