FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best format to encode mts to edit in final cut hel pls!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Speller
Best format to encode mts to edit in final cut hel pls!!
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:28:44 am

Ok I have found out media encoder converts those dreaded stand alone mts files great news. So the footage coming into encoder is avchd 1440x1080, they are big clips averaging 20mins each.So my question is I am doing the edit in fcp6, should I encode them as apple pro res 422 or H.264? Secondley, the client wants a exported video for youtube 1280x720 should I change the frame size in adobe media encoder or when i export my final from fcp 6?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Best format to encode mts to edit in final cut hel pls!!
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:35:43 am

In FCP 6, use ProRes 422. This will make your edit easy on you. The files will be huge. Export a Ref movie from FCP and convert to h.264 in Compressor. 4-6k Bit Rate for YouTube.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shawn Speller
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:40:48 am

Thanks steve, would you suggest keeping it 1440x1080for the edit the export from fcp 1280x720 video. Also when you say export a reference video you mean selecting export as a qt movie opposed to qt conversion right? I haven't used this method too much before, do you have any tips for the settings in export as qt movie?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:24:55 am

When you transcode your footage to ProRes, it will come in as 1920x1080. Drag a clip into FCP Timeline and click yes. This will create a ProRes 1080 sequence for you to edit in.

Do not use QT Conversion. Select Export QuickTime Movie and uncheck self-contained movie. Do not change any settings. Keep current settings.

Take a look at the FCP Manual (Help tab) to review these steps.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

bart kleeven
on Apr 25, 2012 at 11:25:46 am

Pro res is indeed your best option but if you are editing for youtube Pro Res is a bit heavy.
Therefore you have Pro res Proxy and Pro res LT . This conversion is does not make the files as big and are easier on your system.

Return to posts index

Shawn Speller
on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:14:24 pm

Thanks bart now will prores lt or proxy maintain the quality of the original footage?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:11:39 pm

ProRes is your only option. You would need FCP 7 to use ProRes LT or ProRes Proxy.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Shawn Speller
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:39:30 pm

Ah yes I am working from fcp6, so I will have to just go with prores 222, now as a test I did however use the H.264 codec exporting a mov from adobe media encoder then editing with that, In fcp it doesn't look too different just a little darker but half the file size, is this a no no?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 25, 2012 at 6:44:29 pm

[Shawn Speller] "In fcp it doesn't look too different just a little darker but half the file size, is this a no no?"

In FCP, it is not recommended. Adobe Premiere handles h.264's better.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Shawn Speller
on Apr 25, 2012 at 7:06:44 pm

Thamks a lot steve this thread has been a lot of help. I currently have my batch encode going, after a little trouble shooting with media encoder and their disk full error when i have 4.7tb at my disposal, but non the less the files are coming out dandy. I can't wait to begin editing this especially since the client wants it friday, lots of coffee and long days ahead of me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]