FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlacing issues 1080 50i to DV PAL

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brtett Ramsey
Interlacing issues 1080 50i to DV PAL
on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:08:58 am

We have just bought a new Canon HF AG10 camera for our public access news show. The camera is shooting 50i 1440 x 1080 Top field dominance.
Our output for ingest into the station's AVID Thunder system is DV PAL 16:9 Anamorphic lower field dominance 25i.
Our problem is massive interlacing problems that have made the footage unwatchable and unacceptable to the station. (it's all fast paced sports stuff, car racing etc)
Our FCP project pre set is 48khz DV PAL Anamorphic as is the output.
Any suggestions for the best workflow to try and stop this happening ?
Also whatever we need it needs to be really quick as we are a news show and edit right up until the live to air.
BTW we are using FCP5 on a G5 Power Mac, also EDIUS on a PC. Both have the problem. (Could it be the camera setting ? it's set to TV Shutter preference.)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Interlacing issues 1080 50i to DV PAL
on Apr 25, 2012 at 11:11:53 pm

Good grief. DV codec! I presume your version of FCP is old as well becasue since version 6 FCP should automatically apply the shift fields filter to your footage. Edius I presume also has a filter or plugin to reverse fields.

But by far the better option is to edit in an HD timeline that matches your footage to avoid a lot of costly render time and also avoid the awful downscaling in FCP. The final edit can then be converted in Compressor to do a proper downscale and it can then shift the field order.

Personally I would start with the presentation end and stop using DV cpdec. In the PAL world it is the only lower field codec and frankly it is awful.

Return to posts index

Brett Ramsey
on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:29:05 am

Thanks for that. The question is now what format do I use instead of DV. The clips are ingested into AVID Thunder and we can't find much in the way of reliable info about that program at all.
We cant change what the station uses to play out on and it was them who recommended DV.
Is there a better codec that will work in Thunder on a PC.
Would .AVI be better ?

Brett Ramsey
FCP/Mac hold out in a very PC environment.

Return to posts index

Brett Ramsey
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:08:56 am

The station tech just sent me the supplied list of formats that Thunder will recognise. It says it will recognise .mov so what settings would I use in FCP Export or Compressor to get the best result from a mixture of 1080i 720p and SD PAL footage.
The transmission is PAL SD widescreen.

Here's the list below. What would be the best to use from FCP5. That's my main Edit suite, Edius is just used in the field.
----------
Supported Image File Formats
Extension Format
.avi Windows AVI files, including MPEG2 clips. Can be exported in
.mp2 format or as a combination of .mp2 and .wav files.
.bin Chyron files (using the Avid file name suffix)
.bmp Windows Bitmap files
.dib Windows Device Independent Bitmap files
.dko Avid TypeDeko files
.dv DV25 files
.g Avid 10-bit YUVK file used by Thunder and DVExtreme. Can carry
key information.
.jpg JPEG files
.m2v M2V files
.mov QuickTime movie files
.mp2 MPEG audio files
.mxf MXF Files
.tga Targa® files. Can carry key information.
.tif TIFF files
.tmf Avid clips
.vpb Quantel Video PaintBox™ format used by PaintBox™, PictureBox™
and PictureBank™
.wav Windows WAV files

Brett Ramsey
FCP/Mac hold out in a very PC environment.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:43:32 am

AVI & mov are just wrappers. The key info is the codec. I can only see three codecs - mpeg2, DV and AVID 10 bit YUV. So you go from sublime of uncompressed 10 bit to DV and mpeg2.

Most broadcasters output mpeg2 so you might be able to deliver them program/ transport streams. This way you will avoid DV and the field issue. Compressor can make transport and program streams in mpeg2 with muxed audio so you might need to get explicit advice from the station tech as to data rate & audio type and then experiment. If you can go from your HD timeline to an SD mpeg in Compressor you should get a better result that the current downscale to DV and then the broadcaster going to mpeg2 from that.

Compressor will need to have frame controls on and scaling set to best. It will be slow but a better way to do this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]