FORUMS: list search recent posts

Desktop Monitor for Web Color Grading

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zak Ray
Desktop Monitor for Web Color Grading
on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:59:17 am

First question is simple: I'm in need of new desktop monitors. Looking towards the Dell Ultrasharps, which have been a favorite in the past, specifically the U2412M. Any other suggestions?

Second question, more difficult: I do a fair amount of color work with DaVinci Resolve. None of it for broadcast. By this logic, I feel like I can get away with a solid desktop monitor rather than a Dreamcolor, FSI or something pricier. If this is the case, any input on whether the Ultrasharps are a better or worse choice than anything else?

And third question: Resolve doesn't output to a second monitor without a Decklink. I guess this means I would need the Decklink Studio, or buy an SDI/HDMI converter to get to the desktop monitor? Seems like overkill, but the only option?

(I'll probably repost this in the Resolve forum for the sake of question 3)

Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Desktop Monitor for Web Color Grading
on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:03:02 pm

Those Dell monitors have been a favorite around here for a long time. You HAVE to run Resolve? how bout somethin' else? Not sure what though.. I suppose Adobie's new grading software might be interesting. If you're going to buy a card that works with everything, Decklink's it... Sans resolve, everything else comes into play... AJA's new stuff is very interesting... you on a tower, right? Do they have a solution for an iMac and Resolve?

You can't run a second computer display without a decklink card or external video? I thought external video was what supplied only by the Decklink.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Zak Ray
Re: Desktop Monitor for Web Color Grading
on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:55:21 pm

Well, the simple answer is that I like Resolve a lot. And as you say, there's not much else in Resolve's tier; obviously Color is no longer an option, and while Speedgrade looks interesting, Resolve's integration with FCP (and FCPX) fits well into my current workflow.

I am indeed on a tower. Not sure what the iMac solution would be, Intensity Exteme I'm guessing. As for dual monitoring, I'd probably have to switch between DVI and HDMI inputs.

As has been reccommended to me on the Resolve forum, I may just buy a small Plasma TV and be done with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]