FCP > COMPRESSOR > DVD SP - Stuttering Tilts - DEADLINE - Please Advise

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Shepherd
FCP > COMPRESSOR > DVD SP - Stuttering Tilts - DEADLINE - Please Advise
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:39:54 am

Hi,

Sorry but I need to be brief:

I've got a self contained mov file pro-res HQ exported from FCP at 1080i at 24p and am using Compressor at SD DVD Best 90 mins pre-sets. I'm setting the output file to Pal 25fps SD DVD at 100% of source and have experimented with loads of different bit rates and frame controls.

I have been able to stop the stuttering that appears (after compression) using the frame controls - but the optical flow really messes with the rest of the film.

I've heard this might be a field dominance issue - have experimented with different settings to no avail.

Have also tried applying compression markers, there was slight improvement but still noticeable stutter on the MPEG2.

Really really need to get this sorted - I'm already over deadline - please advise!

James

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: FCP > COMPRESSOR > DVD SP - Stuttering Tilts - DEADLINE - Please Advise
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:34:15 am

The likely cause of the stuttering you are seeing is that you shot 24 and are now going to 25 fps.

24 frames is not a native TV standard - its really designed for projects that need to have a correlation to film.

If you are in a PAL country much better to shoot 25P rather than 24P as otherwise it generally will come back to bite you if you need to go to DVD/Tape/TV etc etc. Obviously for web or workflows that need to go to 24fps film then 24 is fine.

Can you try Cinema Tools to conform to 25 ?, you will also need to correct the audio speed to account for the change.
Make a copy of your master QT and conform the copy to 25 in Cinema Tools. You may also need to pitch correct the audio depending on what it is and how it sounds with a 4% speed change.

If you can create a 25P master that way you should see much less in terms of stuttery look.

Conforming a copy to 25 is instant in Cinema Tools so you can quickly see if your MPEG is better before tackling the audio.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

James Shepherd
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:50:50 am

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your response. I opted to use Compressor originally for the option to retain the file duration to 100% of source. I have just tried conforming the MOV to 25fps in Cinema Tools and it is flawless, although I do feel the difference in pace is noticable (that may be that I'm way too close to the project but it does include subtitles which I have timed so that you have enough time to read them etc).

I'm currently about to burn a DVD with the film in 4 parts, 2 of which include tilt shots. These 2 parts have frame controls applied to them which should alleviate the stutter (has done in previous efforts). I now just need to burn/check the DVD for consistency.

Failing this I will definitely further explore the Cinema Tools conform option, look into lowering pitch etc.

Thanks again Neil,

James

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:00:44 pm

No worries, sounds like you have at least got some options.
Many 24 frame feature films are transferred to DVD by simply changing the duration so its a long established principle.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

James Shepherd
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:19:35 pm

Thanks again Neil

Return to posts index

James Shepherd
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:20:15 pm

Martin,

Thanks for this - I'm going to try this method asap and will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

James

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:55:49 pm

Hi James,

I have to do this kind of thing quite a lot. I've found it best to do 2 stages: 1) Downconvert to 25fps PAL ProRes 2) Use this encode to do your MPEG2.

Compressor takes ages to downconvert and do the MPEG2 - and it does not look too good once done.

Downconversion: In Compressor, change video settings to ProRes, 25 fps. Then Frame controls all to best and field to top first. Dimensions / Cropping to PAL CCIR 601 (16:9). Run this encode

You will now have a ProRes Downconversion in 25fps.

MPEG2: Now do the MPEG2 with the ProRes downconverted movie. Frame controls off, cropping off and video format to PAL, 25fps, 16:9. Quality 6.5 CBR works well for most things, I've found. This encode should go very quickly. Also do your AC3 encode for the audio (but you probably know this!)

Hope this helps. Martin.

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:11:24 pm

Just about every PAL player in the world will play an NTSC disc encoded 23.98 (24p). Another option if your not comfortable with the correct way to get a quality conversion.

Return to posts index

James Shepherd
on Apr 24, 2012 at 12:47:19 pm

Thanks Eric, as much as I'd absolutely love to put out a flawless NTSC DVD I can't really risk it in this instance. Will remember that for the future though!

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Apr 24, 2012 at 12:58:30 pm

Yes, you are right not to risk it - I was caught this way 3 years back trying to save a double duplication run. Problems galore and we had to send out many replacement (PAL) versions as so many people coudn't play their DVDs. Fingers burned and lesson learned!

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 25, 2012 at 4:24:54 am

Thats odd.... I have close to a million units of NTSC discs in Europe without a peep.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]