FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bringing in 5d mark iii files thru Log & Transfer?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ravich
Bringing in 5d mark iii files thru Log & Transfer?
on Apr 22, 2012 at 11:41:08 pm

Running FCP 7 on Duo Quad Core Mac Pro, 10.6 OS.
Just shot some lovely stuff with new 5D mark iii and of course log and transfer tool isn't recognizing the footage. This is part of a Canon HDSLR-shot project and have sucessfully brought in 5D, 7D, T2i & T3i (with hack) footage thru L&T.

Downloaded the latest and greatest EOS plug-in -
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_... - attempted to open files in L&T and after lengthy attempt to open, app crashed. Any ideas?

Many thanks, Nick.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Bringing in 5d mark iii files thru Log & Transfer?
on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:49:24 am

Is your version of FCP 7.0.3? The specs for that software specifies that version.

If it is, I suggest contacting Canon. FCP7 is EOL so there will not be any Apple support for this camera in that FCP version.

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:00:28 pm

Thanks Michael. Yeah, it's 7.0.3.
Alright, I'll get in touch with Canon, but not terribly hopeful.
No doubt others are starting to run into this issue . . . .
Nick.

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:28:11 pm

So called Canon.
They're claiming latest L&T plug-in will only work if you're targeting files off a device (ie off original cards) or a virtual drive. Also said that's been true of previous Canon HDSLR model's footage - 5D ii, 7D, etc. Which totally wasn't my experience - for last 2 years been transferring full contents off cards (keeping folder structure intact) onto external drives and opening successfully in L&T from those.
Anyway, still have the cards around so tried to bring in off the original in L&T and still no luck. Again, crashed the app.
Also opened the card in Canon's image browser - does recognize/import the footage but oddly can't read any of the metadata for the clips.
Getting worried, Nick.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:13:37 pm

Nick, try making a disk image of the card using Disk Utilities. That is how I have been archiving CF cards off the 5Dmk2 and then pointing L&T to them.

There may be a bug with the 1.3 drivers. I downloaded them but at the moment I can't afford to play with them as I don't have any mk3 footage and also I am mid job and can't afford to break anything.

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:24:56 pm

Thanks Michael, but it was kind of a false alarm.
I was able to get the mark iii/ L&T workflow going - it just takes forever to load in the L&T browser. Upwards of 3 to 4 minutes. So I just wasn't being patient enough I guess.
Hassle going forward though - and seemingly not a good sign.
Thanks, Nick.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:10:32 am

Well I'm having that problem. IN FACT, some of the cards were shared in a MKII and a MKIII.

Guess what files mount?

YUP. All the MKII ones.

I'll check my plugin and give it another go. I just happened to try and mount this footage today. I ended up working with it natively in FCP X as my first real project in there. Today I tried to mount the stuff in FC7 and it said it was incompatible file structure, etc.

FCP 7 is EOL and this is what one can expect more and more. Anyone running FCP 7 should at least join Adobe Cloud and start playing with PPro CS6.

The MKIII is nice. SD cards, longer recordings...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:30:33 am

Bret did you download the latest L&T plugin from Canon? 1.3 is up if you follow the link that Nick posted earlier. I don't think mk3 files work without it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:34:59 pm

I'm a bad poster. A few minutes later I did just that and forgot to post back. They do take a little bit longer to mount than the MKIIs for some reason, but I only had a few files. And mine were all 12 min.

It was a nice surprise when interviews were going past 12 minutes and our A cam (MKIII) just kept on rolling while the b cam (MKII) had to start a new file.

And when after filling up our cards we discovered the MKIII could take SD cards. We had one of those and it shot and imported that just fine too.

I'm importing off of a LaCie that I copy the files to via laptop and card reader on the shoot. I didn't do any fancy disc images (although great idea). Just copied the contents of the card to a folder I usually title Card 1,2, etc. Even the card with MKII and MKIII on it imported fine. Everything was 1080 24p (23.98)

Return to posts index

Justin Bare
on May 16, 2012 at 6:49:34 pm

I have trouble importing files into FCP 7 (through log & transfer) from the 5D MK 3 when I record ALL-I frames, but when I record using the IPB frame compression I have no problem. The MK 2 uses IPB frames, so I'm guessing thats why? If that's the case then its a shame because I'd rather record ALL-I frames

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on May 16, 2012 at 7:19:35 pm

Thanks Justin. Did get the Mark iii workflow to work with Log & Transfer, just takes a really looong time to load in browser.
Haven't shot with Mark iii since but will make sure DP is shooting IPB (and not I-frames.)
Had another kinda related issue. Since I downloaded latest EOS Plugin for FCP - in order to bring in Mark iii files in Log & Transfer - haven't been able to bring in T2i/T3i files via L&T, even using the old camera plist hack. Wondering if that's an issue for you?
Nick.

Return to posts index

Justin Bare
on May 16, 2012 at 10:51:32 pm

I don't have any T2i files to try, but I've imported 60D files just fine after installing the EOS plugin

Return to posts index

Xavier Massimi
on Dec 19, 2012 at 4:22:42 am

This message may come a little late, but I just got a 5D MIII after shooting for a couple of years with a T2i. I still edit in FCP 7 so I was looking for a way to log and transfer files from both cameras.

I updated the EOS plugin and was able to transfer MIII footage. Not so lucky with the T2i footage.

I repeated the T2i hack *after* updating the EOS plugin. As today, it is the 1.4 version.
It's woking like a charm.

I hope it comes handy if you're still wondering.

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Dec 19, 2012 at 4:02:57 pm

Thanks Xavier.

Re mark iii files, now shooting with more compressed of the 2 possible record codecs. Def loads in Log & Transfer a bit quicker. And seems less buggy in the transcoding.

Re T2i, many thanks for the new plugin heads up. Site lists 1.4 ver as being released 12.12.12. Been spending last half year trying to lock down good 3rd party alts to L&T tool for T2i & T3i footage. VERY happy to hear the old hack works (at least for the T2i.) Tho p*ssed I spent all that time looking for a fix that Canon finally provided.

Hacking away, N.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]