FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL 1080 HD 24p to PAL 16:9 SD conversion for dissertation submission!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Shepherd
PAL 1080 HD 24p to PAL 16:9 SD conversion for dissertation submission!
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:50:13 pm

Hi - really sorry to have to post this because I've seen loads of people posting the same kind of thing but everybody's got slightly different settings and nothing seems to be quite working for me. I'll say out right, while I love shooting and editing, my technical knowledge has some room for improvement, but I'll try to explain my situation as best as I can:

I've shot my 12 minute dissertation film on a Canon EOS 550D and converted the H.264 files to ProRes 422 (HQ) using MPEG Streamclip, and then edited my film in FCP7.

My sequence settings are 1920x1080 with an HDTVi 1080i (16:9) Aspect Ratio (my sequences are Preset to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 24p 48KHz but I noticed the 1080i Aspect Ratio on my master sequence - is this okay??) with an editing timebase of 24 and Quicktime Video Settings at Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) with quality at 100% and I'm rendering in high-precision YUV.

I have tried exporting to a self-contained MOV at current settings (which looks fine) and then converting the file to an SD 16:9 25fps MPEG-2 with everything set to "Best" (VBR set to top out at 8) and have tried different settings with the detail slider and the footage looks really bad.

Also tried using Compressor's "Advanced Format Conversions" using PR422 for Progressive Material (HQ) to SD and it's still looking soft and pixelated.

I've also tried converting the file to SD in MPEG Streamclip, then into compressor, and vice versa, and I'm not having any luck.

I'm sure I've edited in FCP before with the same settings and burned a better looking DVD than this in iMovie before... which I might resort to trying soon out of desperation, but I need to use DVDSP as I have a layered menu that is part of the submission...

I need to figure this out as I need a master copy of my DVD asap for submission - sorry to lump this on the COW at short notice - can anyone suggest anything??

Shep

Return to posts index

James Shepherd
Re: PAL 1080 HD 24p to PAL 16:9 SD conversion for dissertation submission!
on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:10:37 am

Okay so I've made some progress - haven't slept but coffee's helping.

Basically I've discovered that the exported MPEG-2 file you see on your mac is very very different to the DVD you see on your screen - which is actually pretty good. Took me all night to figure that out.

There's still a couple of slight "wobble" sort of distortions going on around the top of the frame with some camera movement, and the motion looks slightly funny - can't tell if this is just because I've tried to compensate in Frame Controls or it's just cos it's 25fps from 24.

I'm tweaking it to get the best results but if anybody has any advice on settings they've used I'd appreciate it, cos I can't really see what I've done til I've burned off a DVD!

Cheeeeeerrs!

Return to posts index

yosh deston
on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:08:40 pm

hey james,
sort of related maybe you can answer this or have found the answer.
if i take a HD file of a wedding i shot and compress it in compressor. will the SD file be of better quality as opposed to burning it in Toast as an HD File, im assuming that being full res in toast would make compression higher as there is more to compress?

Return to posts index

James Shepherd
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:34:37 am

Hey! So - I'm not too familiar with toast, but research indicated you'll get better quality using it over compressor... I'm assuming it needs to go to dvd?? Something I figured out was the m2v file you get out of compressor plays back badly on mac but actually looks a lot better on DVD, so it's worth burning one off to see how it looks. Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]