FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick way to see total amount of video assets in a FCP 7 project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Townley
Quick way to see total amount of video assets in a FCP 7 project?
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:02:05 pm

I have an odd question. I have close to a hundred video clips sitting in a bin. They are used in a dozen or so sequences. What I am looking for is a very quick way to see how much total video is in this project? Is there a quick way to see this without having to do some math?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: Quick way to see total amount of video assets in a FCP 7 project?
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:51:12 pm

To find the total duration of every video clip in your project make a new sequence. You could be really clever and call it 'All Clips' or something similar.

Next, locate one of the video files in Finder. Assuming you've been organised all of your video files should be organised in a way where you can easily locate them. Select them all and drag-and-drop them into your new sequence.

Look at the total duration of the sequence.

Note - the reason I say to drag-and-drop from Finder rather than FCP's browser is that if you have in and out points set on any of your clips you will only drag in those selections.

It wasn't completely clear from your post whether you wanted the answer I've given above, or whether you wanted to know the total duration of all of your sequences. If it's the latter, just drag-and-drop all of the sequences into a new sequence and look at the total duration of the new one.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:59:02 pm

Thanks, Alex. I tried using the drag from finder method, but since my total video is over 12 hours, that doesn't work (since the max per sequence is 12 hours).

I realize I could fill them this way until I got to the end and then count those up, but I was still hoping there would just be a simple way that just displayed it or calculated it somewhere.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:15:30 pm

Total as in the length of all the clips combined or total as in how much disk space is this taking up? The total disk space question can be founf using Media Manager.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:17:09 pm

Total combined running time of all the clips in a project.

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
on Apr 21, 2012 at 3:52:47 pm

Download the app: AJA dataCalc, it's pretty good to estimate duration based on size and vice verca

Yours Sincerely

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.0 -5.5
Mac OS 10.6.7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]