FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP nesting not working as one might expect

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
che broadnax
FCP nesting not working as one might expect
on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:52:28 pm

Okay, so, after years, I finally came to appreciate a nested sequence. I have to version out like 40 different versions of the same spot. The picture is the same, just with different audio and a different end page on each spot.

So, I've been making a master sequence, and then nesting that sequence, a billion times in other sequences. From time to time, clients will get back with a last minute change to the picture (swap out this person who won't sign a release with this person who will). I swap it out in the master sequence...

Here's where it gets dicey...

That change is NOT reflected in my nested sequences. Wait... so, what the heck is the pointing of nesting a sequence? Here's where it gets weirder. It SOMETIMES does reflect in SOME of the nested sequences. The ones that it isn't reflected in, I have to double click and change them there. These sequences don't exist in the project, but are like weird non-referenced instances of the original master sequence.

I wished it was just one computer, but all three edit suites here seem to be afflicted by this bizarre problem.

Is there a "right" or "wrong" way of cutting a sequence into another sequence to make the nest a true reference as opposed to a copy that isn't linked to its progenitor?

Return to posts index

che broadnax
Re: FCP nesting not working as one might expect
on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:09:16 pm

Okay, I've sort of tracked where the problem occurs.

If I nest Sequence A into Sequence B, then any time I make changes to A, the nested version in B reflects the change. But then if I duplicate Sequence B to create Sequence C, then changes to A do not reflect in C. If I may editorialize for a moment, that is bad.

Now, if I create a new sequence called D, and then copy and paste the content from Sequence B into D, then changes to A are still not reflected in D.

The only time changes in a nested sequence seem to be reflected is when I directly cut A into that sequence.

Is there a setting somewhere that cripples/enables nesting to work properly?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 18, 2012 at 6:44:36 pm

Nesting is evil, and is well know for producing unpredictable results.

If your working in ProRes, I would export the master seq (current settings/self contained) and then re-import that footage for use in other sequences. Baking your sequences is a little more work, but always works. It also adds a nice back-up should your master sequence be deleted or damaged.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

che broadnax
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:15:45 pm

Huh. What a pickle. I've known nesting to be evil since FCP 2.0, when I first experienced the shock of trying to cut from a sequence into another sequence as per Avid standard procedure, and finding a nested sequence there instead of just some regular clips. Steered clear of nesting until a couple of years ago when I found myself outputting tons of versions of the same spot for broadcast.

I've certainly run into some weird render file glitches, too.

Was hoping there'd be a non-destructive way to get nested sequences to actually perform in the only way they'd be particularly useful.

The weirdest thing of all... I'm sure that one point this actually worked. Maybe I was just trippin'.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:54:58 pm

[che broadnax] "The weirdest thing of all... I'm sure that one point this actually worked. Maybe I was just trippin'."

I don't think you're trippin. Sometimes nesting works, and then sometimes not. Or sometimes it's working great, and poof, it's broken for what seems like no reason. Very unpredictable.
Fewer nests seem better. Shorter seem are better. The more sequences in a project, the better the chances of a nest not working.
A short project, like a promo, with only one or two sequences, and a single nest will often work.
Baking your sequences, and reimporting them is a little more work than a nest, but is non-destructive and can be set up to work like a nest.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]