FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chroma Key render creates glitchy artifacts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brad hebert
Chroma Key render creates glitchy artifacts
on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:18:02 am

I am keying out a green computer monitor. Everything looks fine until I render, then there are horizontal lines around part of the screen where there is a lot of white. The lines are subtle, but still very obvious and distracting. They move spastically. Any idea what is causing it and how I can avoid it? I try nudging the key settings around, but after it renders, the glitchiness returns.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Chroma Key render creates glitchy artifacts
on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:47:16 pm

[brad hebert] "...there are horizontal lines around part of the screen where there is a lot of white."

I'd guess the white is glare off the screen, right? If you can't reshoot to remove the glare, you might be able to salvage the shot in Motion. I rarely if ever use it, but I know it can animate masks, motion track and composite. Do the whole shot in Motion.

Personally, I'd use After Effects if I had no other choice but to salvage a shot like this.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:54:38 pm

Glitchy lines arent happening around the greenkey area.v they are happening on another part of the screen where there is a lot of white

Return to posts index

Drake Hale
on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:04:23 pm

Since the area is confined to a fairly simple shape you can just mask or garbage matte out the other area where the glitch is happening and focus your key on the screen. Its probably good practice because the FCP chroma keyer isn't great

"It's all about keyframes"
Anonymous

2011 3.2GHz 27" iMac, Final Cut Studio 2, Adobe CS4

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:38:10 pm

[Drake Hale] "you can just mask or garbage matte out the other area where the glitch is happening"

Yeah, I had actually fixed it this way before I made the post. I was just wondering why those horrible lines were appearing as it causes a lot of extra work.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:10:36 pm

Wait a minute. This screen of yours isn't a solid green, but rather a a display of some kind where you expected to just key out the green?

Have you ever shot for chroma key before?

I hope this shot isn't moving. If it isn't, you stand a fighting chance of salvaging it in FCP by duplicating the layer, masking around the white stuff and making it the top layer.

If it's moving, you have no other choice than After Effects or Motion.

And for future reference, you'll find it helpful to plan out and TEST effects shots before you shoot them for real. If you don't, they'll almost always come back to bite you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:34:43 pm

Calm down. I have The monitor is a solid green screen. The stuff around it is white and that's where the lines appear.

Return to posts index

John Baumgaertner
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:19:07 am

I am running into what I believe is a similar problem. These flickering white lines on the front image in the chroma key. The lines often seem to somewhat take the shape of what is the background , they mave and shift and change when I try to analyze them, but they almost always come back. it also seems like these are generally in the whitest parts of the image. did you ever get down to the bottom of it?

-JB

Return to posts index

brad hebert
on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:25:54 am

No it still happens occasionally. Subtle, but disappointing and unprofessional.

Return to posts index

Drake Hale
on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:58:29 pm

Seems like all this dude does is retro-rig everyone's shoot. You seem to spend a lot of time in the forum for a Sr. Promotion Producer. U Mad Bro?

"It's all about keyframes"
Anonymous

2011 3.2GHz 27" iMac, Final Cut Studio 2, Adobe CS4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]