FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid editor confused with "JKL" and Insert Clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Singer
Avid editor confused with "JKL" and Insert Clip
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:37:55 pm

Hi folks,

Please share your wisdom, and let me know what I'm doing wrong :)
I'm an AVID editor by trade, and am cutting some stuff in FCP7.

My AVID workflow when editing an interview is to use "JKL" to scrub through the clip in my "Viewer" window, press "I&O" for my ins and outs, and then press "V" to insert the clip into my "Timeline"

When I'm trying to replicate this process in FCP7, (replacing V with F9 for insert clip) I'm having to re click (or re select) the viewer window each time a clip is inserted into the timeline (because the timeline/canvas is automatically selected)

My question is: Is there a way that I can insert clips from my viewer into my timeline WITHOUT having to reclick/reselect the viewer window each time. I want to do this with a keyboard shortcut, not having to drag the clip from my viewer into the timeline. Each time I use "insert clip" from my viewer, the timeline gets selected, and I have to click back on the viewer to keep selecting ins and outs. It would be much simpler if the viewer window stayed selected while I'm inserting clips to the timeline. I know I can press "Q" to toggle back to the viewer window, but would like to eliminate that step.

I know this is wordy, but I hope this is clear, and any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Cheers,
B.

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
Re: Avid editor confused with "JKL" and Insert Clip
on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:49:08 pm

Try press CMS+1, it will navigate to the viewer

Yours Sincerely

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.0 -5.5
Mac OS 10.6.7

Return to posts index

Bryan Singer
on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:34:47 am

Yeah, CMD+1 Brings up the viewer, but not what I'm looking for. Looking to drag the clips to the timeline without toggling off the viewer.
Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:17:32 pm

There is no way around Q. You may want to try to turn the situation inside out though. Drop the whole clip to timeline and IO and ripple delete the unwanted parts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]