FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have a good HD raw, to SD final product workflow.... Sort of...Need a little more assistance.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conor Smith
I have a good HD raw, to SD final product workflow.... Sort of...Need a little more assistance.
on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:03:03 pm

So, I've been researching, testing and pulling my hair to get an acceptable result when editing my Apple Pro Res 422 footage down to an SD project... With only a few caveats I am feeling successful. Just need to know if anyone has an easy way to deal with formatting errors. Anyway, here is the workflow I've modified to work with NTSC http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/ex1_sd_output_young.html

Basically he says edit the sequence in a native (to the raw footage) timeline and then, once you are done editing, go to easy setup and set it up as an NTSC Anamorphic project and create a new sequence. There are a few settings you need to change in the settings of that sequence. But you copy your HD timeline into this new timeline and render it out. It really looks a 100 times better then just trying to compress the HD timeline.

The issues I'm running into is some of the individual clips don't format into the timeline properly, they are way to big. Yet some conform nicely. However on another project, most of the clips need to be adjusted to fit the NTSC DV anamorphic project. Am I missing a setting? Is there an easier way. I'm not loosing sleep over this... yet... but I am growing increasingly frustrated. Please, any assistance would be great. .

Live Free! Play Hard!
CS

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I have a good HD raw, to SD final product workflow.... Sort of...Need a little more assistance.
on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:36:16 pm

It sounds like your HD timeline contains clips of various sizes, something which isn't covered in the Ken Stone article you cite.

Export a self-contained Quicktime movie from the HD timeline, and import this clip. Make an SD timeline and add the Newly-imported clip to it. Confirm that it came in fine and export again. DO NOT use the DV codec for the SD timeline. Use ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
Re: I have a good HD raw, to SD final product workflow.... Sort of...Need a little more assistance.
on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:51:31 pm

Brilliant... it always amazes me how simple the answers are. However, it also amazes me when I don't know something I should. My last question is on my variation of Ken's tutorial. Since I am creating an SD DVD with this timeline should I keep field dominance at Lower (even) since the final product will be an interlaced project? I tried putting it to none but I'm just noticing some edge jitter when there is sharp movement of the subject.

Any insight into that would be great before I go through burning a DVD.

Cheers,
Conor

Live Free! Play Hard!
CS

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:03:27 pm

Never mind... I just did some testing and it looks way better when field dominance is set to "none". Final test is to put all this knowledge on an SD DVD.... I am not expecting crystal clear but all I want is respectable quality.

Thanks again.
Conor

Live Free! Play Hard!
CS

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:03:10 pm

I guess it depends on the footage. Please describe it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:11:18 pm

Well, without divulging my hard knocks approach to learning... we capture from AVCHD cameras using Black Magic Extreme cards. The raw files are ProRes 422 (HQ) at 29.97. One thing I don't know about ProRes 422(HQ) is if it's interlaced or Progressive.

I have been writing down these steps and modifying them so we can make this process as easy as possible, I just want to have a total understanding of why it is, when I set field dominance to none, do I get a better quality image.

Thanks for your time Dave, it is much appreciated.

Cheers

Live Free! Play Hard!
CS

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:18:46 pm

AVCHD doesn't benefit from ProRes HQ. 4K RED does, but not AVCHD; normal ProRes 422 is just fine. You don't gain additional image quality with HQ, but you DO gain significantly large file sizes. If that's your intent, keep it up.

So how about the inevitable rendering that takes place? You'd have to re-render the same ProRes 422 clip six times over before you saw even the slightest hint of image degradation... and I know of no workflow where such a silly thing would happen.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:37:27 pm

Great. I just wanted the best image quality to start with, but if AVCHD doesn't benefit from using HQ over normal ProRes, then I will definitely stop doing it. I am of the school that bigger is better, but not when it comes to unnecessary file size. Thanks for that little mind nugget.

I don't know what you are asking on the second part of your post.

Thanks again.

Live Free! Play Hard!
CS

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:40:14 pm

[Conor Smith] "I don't know what you are asking on the second part of your post."

You'd be the extremely rare individual if at some point you didn't have to render in FCP. It happens. When it does, you don't have to worry about image degredation with ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:53:40 pm

Right. I love rendering... :P. I knew there was little chance of degradation with 422, I just didn't realize that I didn't have to go as far as 422 (HQ) This will save me a lot of time and space. Thanks again. I just burned my first test DVD... I wouldn't call it breathtaking but it is the best result yet and 100% acceptable from a client's perspective.

Thanks again.
Conor

Live Free! Play Hard!
CS

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:37:36 pm

Interesting... I looked at the capture settings and Blackmagic intensity don't have an option for non (HQ) prores422... I seem to remember the Intensity Extreme we got has more capture options so it may just be as easy as grabbing a software update. I will report back.

Live Free! Play Hard!
CS

Return to posts index

Conor Smith
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:33:07 pm

Yeah, the other black magic intensity extreme doesn't have the option to record regular 422 either... Just(HQ). Oh well.

Live Free! Play Hard!
CS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]