FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow Proxy question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrico Lappano
Workflow Proxy question
on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:18:46 pm

In the past I would start a project by converting all the H264 7D and HDV files to ProRes 422 (which would of course take a ton of memory). Editing with that in FCP 7 and in the end using on average less than a quarter of all the footage I'd converted to 422.

After reading a number of posts, I'm now considering an editing workflow with ProRes 422 Proxy. So if I first convert all the H264 to Proxy instead, after I complete the edit and know which clips are used, I then convert only those H264 clips which are in the edit to whatever final codec I want, and have media manager reconnect those clips to the final codec. It would preserve all the edit's transitions and effects and save so much needed bulk memory.

Is that the correct workflow which Proxy allows? Am I getting this right cause that would be huge!

If so, is media manager the best way to reconnect footage, how do I set it up? Finally, how should I capture the HDV footage to use in the FCP Sequence Preset timeline?

I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Workflow Proxy question
on Apr 15, 2012 at 11:43:05 pm

Lucky for you Shane Ross has doen tutorials on tapless workflows and online/offline.

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Don't forget to send Shane a nice letter of thanks for making it all so clear and easy.

That said, perhaps using Premier Pro would be a smarter workflow, sticking to h264 native.

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:46:10 am

Thanks Michael.

Since I have 7D and HDV footage, for earlier 422 projects I was capturing HDV in FCP that converted it to ProRes 422. Now, editing in a Proxy timeline, what is the best format to capture HDV footage to give it similar flexibility since HDV in FCP capture doesn't have a Proxy option?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:28:59 am

HDV native works. Lots of people claim long GOP is hopeless but the HDV to Prores capture broke the timecode link back to the original footage. It would then require that the ProRes is the master and then make proxies from the ProRes. This saves nothing for space. HDV is a small easy to manage file. I have online & graded over 50 docos in HDV. I sometimes just go straight to Color if it is a total HDV sequence and then render the grades back as ProRes422. The HDV horrors that some report are due to complicated mixed timelines and rendering. Using ProRes as your sequence setting tends to make HDV and other mixed codecs work OK.

In your final timeline, you recapture the 7D footage and you can either leave the HDV as HDV or use Media Manager to make a ProRes version of the HDV in the timeline with delete unused media and set handles. This means that just the material in the cut is made into ProRes files the length of the shots plus handles. Recapture the 7D and marry the two sequences back together. Send to Color etc.

Only recapture picture. The sound is the uncompressed (sure of that with HDV but not sure about Proxy so check). Audio goes out as OMF which consolidates plus handles as well.

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:26:16 pm

Thanks Michael.

I am using the HDV primarilly for audio and as a B camera with the 7D. It seems from your response that in regards to memory space, I should capture in native HDV and then consider recapturing HDV in ProRes later (with handles). I appreciate the detail of your response.

One last thing. When I capture the HDV, I was told to use Sony HDV Firewire as Device Control Preset. I'm using a Canon HXA1s at 29.97 capturing w firewire. Not sure why the Sony preset was suggested over the Basic HDV Firewire setting in FCP 7. What do you think? Does it make a difference?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 16, 2012 at 11:54:44 pm

Yes too capture as HDV via firewire. There is no need to recapture the HDV as ProRes via firewire. You can't do this as far as I know, becasue that process doesn't feed the timecode through to the ProRes file and there is no need. Just use Media Manager to do the conversion to ProRes422 and consolidation in one pass as I mentioned.

I do know the Canons sometimes need a bit of fiddle to connect via firewire. I used to capture from an H1 via SDI but use firewire basic for machine control. A search of this forum may shed more light on the best forewire settings for your camera.

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:58:26 am

Thanks again Michael. I'll use Media manager.

I'm wondering whether the Device Control Preset can affect potential quality.

I have been reading different responses whether to go with HDV Firewire, HDV Firewire Basic, or Sony HDV Firewire. There seem to be inconsistencies re a sure fire consistent response to this question. If there is one answer using the Canon XH A1s with FCP 7, 29.97 fps I'd really appreciate that.

I've included an image of FCP Audio/Video Settings with HDV Firewire Basic for now. Does it look right?

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Apr 18, 2012 at 2:53:46 pm

I just did a test of the HDV Proxy to 422 upres through Media Manager and because the XHA1s is 1440x1080, when it scaled up to 1920x1080 it didn't do it proportionally so I'm not sure of the go around for that in Media Manager, why it didn't adjust for the size configuration as say Mpeg Streamclip or Compressor?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]