FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec for large screen TVs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Laughbaum
Codec for large screen TVs
on Apr 15, 2012 at 5:35:34 pm

Hi all,

The clients I make DVDs for tend to own large screen TVs and Blu-Ray players.

I shoot live children's theater in SD (the shows can run as long as 2 1/2 hours) , capturing and editing with the DVPRO codec. Before I export to Compressor, I change the codec in the sequence settings in FCP to either Animation or none so my titles and credits look nice. I've tried ProRes as suggested but find that exporting straight to the Compressor (rather than exporting to QT) gives me a better outcome.

Even though I am now burning to dual layer disk to keep the bit rate no lower than 7 and the resulting DVDS look decent on a small screen, I'm still not satisfied with what I see on the larger TVs.

Any thoughts on the workflow and settings from FCP to Compressor to DVDSP for this type of situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa Laughbaum
Laughing Tree Productions
http://www.LaughingTreeProductions.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Codec for large screen TVs
on Apr 15, 2012 at 11:47:49 pm

The problem starts with camera acquisition. Because you are starting with DV you have a soft image and a codec that is a problem for text and graphics. The single biggest improvement you can make is not codec but camera and lens - good old fashion real resolution of a decent sensor and sharp glass.

Next is getting to bluray not DVD as you are already pushing a standard def format hard with long durations.

Changing the timeline to Animation basically renders uncompressed 8 bit. ProRes422 is compressed but 10 bit and to my eye lossless.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Codec for large screen TVs
on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:06:07 pm

Agreed, Alternatively, if you have a DV sequence, change it to DV50 for grfx improvement for final re-render and export.

But, SD doesn't look great on HD sets in the best of circumstances.

Time to go HD and Bluray....

Bluray looks SOoooooooo goooood!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]