FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videos looks incorrect on YouTube (not Quicktime)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Akinbanjo
Videos looks incorrect on YouTube (not Quicktime)
on Apr 14, 2012 at 3:56:59 pm

Hi guys!

Okay, so an annoying issue has cropped up that I noticed when we uploaded our most recent video to YouTube. It just didn't look right, and obviously so. This issue has probably always existed for us, but it hasn't been noticed until now.

When I would test out new PP methods, I would view the export in "quick preview" on my Mac, which uses Quicktime. The exported video looks how it's "supposed" to look in Quicktime, but on YouTube, and VLC (and probably everything else) it looks wrong. Here is the issue illustrated:

As you can see, the above image looks much more vibrant, and overall, nicer. That's how I want my video to look on YouTube - instead, we get the bottom image. What can we do to combat this issue? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Videos looks incorrect on YouTube (not Quicktime)
on Apr 14, 2012 at 9:35:20 pm

Well, when it leaves your hands, what can you do? The stuff I color correct for air look great when I look at them on my monitor, but by the time it is compressed for air, and broadcast over the airwaves and cable, it isn't nearly as vibrant. Same issue you are having...it looks great on your end, but after YouTube is done compressing it for their needs, it gets washed out.

Nothing much you can do but maybe saturate things more, so that by the time they are done compressing it, it looks normal. But how can you tell what their compressions will do? And who knows what it looks like on other peoples monitors...every monitor will be different.

The best you can do is make it look good on your end. That's the only thing you have control over.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Akinbanjo
on Apr 14, 2012 at 9:37:13 pm

Hi, I appreciate the response, however the issue doesn't just manifest itself after YouTube is done compressing it, it manifests itself by merely viewing the video in VLC. It looks correct in Quicktime, but on in VLC. In VLC it looks like how it does on YouTube...so I thought perhaps there was a setting we were missing or something.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 14, 2012 at 9:45:59 pm

It looks fine in QT...but not in VLC. Well, what I output might look great on my Panasonic TV, but not on my Samsung. It's a different player, with different playback quality apparently. Again, nothing you can do. The issue lies with VLC...and YouTube.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]