FORUMS: list search recent posts

clean install of FCP 7; will it update?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
clean install of FCP 7; will it update?
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:12:33 pm

For the past 4 months I have been running FCP 7 and FCP X on 2 separate partitions on one drive. 7 on a Snow Leopard partition and X on a Lion. I am getting brave. I have cloned the Lion partition to another drive, and I don't think I can just drag the the FCS applications over to the new drive and walk away (two many library folders etc.) So if I do a clean install using my FCS disks, will software update then bring my 7 up to 7.03, along with the other FCS applications? In other words are the Pro App updates still on the Apple servers? I really would not like to mess this up.

PS. I do know that I need to put FCP X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 in their own little folder.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: clean install of FCP 7; will it update?
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:15:51 pm

Personally I wouldn't change a working FCS3 system. Some people here have reported that FCS3 works on Lion but I suspect it will break eventually. Any reason why you need to move to a new system drive or run FCS on Lion?

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:21:56 pm

Michael,
I hate to admit, I'm being a little lazy.... I use DVD Studio Pro a lot, and I'm just tired of rebooting to the other partition to use it. Plus I use 7 to make time code burn ins for clients....

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:32:58 pm

Nothing is stopping you from downloading all the FCS3 updates and burning them to a DVD-ROM. That's what we've done, and we just keep it with the system disks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:37:17 pm

Perhaps you can just install DVDSP on the Lion partition.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:45:30 pm

I run both on a Lion system. Installed Lion, installed FCS Studio 3, installed FCP X. What's the problem? I keep seeing people worrying about partitions, etc. but the two exist side by side without any conflicts that I can see. Premiere too. Blackmagic and Matrox on the same system as well. No issues. FWIW.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Apr 13, 2012 at 9:41:32 pm

Bret
Is FCPX in a separate folder inside your application folder? Does the Motion round tripping in 7 still work?
Does the horrible integration between X and Motion 5 function? Is there any issue with installing FCS 3 after X? Do you think it's a good time to buy Apple stock?

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:29:11 pm

Like I said, some here are happily running FCS3 with Lion. If you make your living with FCS3 at the moment then I think you should seriously question the value of running legacy software on an OS that is going to be updated.

Firstly if Lion updates break FCS3 will Apple fix it? I don't want to bet my business on that. Secondly drivers for AJA etc are now different for FCS and FCPX so if it is all on the one OS, you may find that the need to update your card drivers for FCPX will stop FCS using your I/O card. I am considering putting CS6 on the Mac so I will definitely be partitioning and keeping FCS3 legacy & SL fixed, along with the appropriate Kona drivers.

I make a living with stable working systems. Feel free to roll the dice and gamble on breaking FCS3. It really is just a matter of time.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:00:48 pm

Watch this tutorial created by David:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:03:36 pm

Don has already got a partitioned system. He was wondering if it is now OK to run a single boot system with both on Lion

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:31:26 pm

I am going to keep backups of everything. So if something goes wrong or Mountain Lion leaves FCS behind, I will have options. I just would like my day to day life to be a little easier.

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:52:33 pm

I have a test Lion boot drive with all kinds of stuff on it.

Beta, non Beta, fcs3, FCPX, uninstalling, reinstalling. Ive been trying to break it. It's been very solid. I do have a disk that's only fcs3/cs5.5 that I use for production. It gets imaged and backed up. It will be where I freeze the disk for all future fcs3 project restores.

I normally don't do as I explain in the above, but with all the craziness, I jumped in. People clown Lion, I rather like it. A lot, actually.

Make an image of your current disk just in case.

All of these things run together on Lion with no issues.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Apr 14, 2012 at 12:14:05 am

In the process of backing up my system partitions now. Probably won't get to FCS 3 install until the morning. But I am going ahead with it.

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 14, 2012 at 4:05:15 pm

I don't think you should worry about it... In my classroom at school, I'm running it along side FCP X on the same Lion partition, and it's humming along just fine. If you have a capture card be sure there are drivers for Lion, but other than that, you're not doing something that you'll regret don't think.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2012 at 9:25:12 pm

As I've said before, Versions is almost as ridiculous as trackless audio and the magnetic timeline in FCPX.

Other than those things I like Lion and X. If you use an Apple wireless mouse or even better a magic trackpad, Lion is pretty neat. I wish Lion was better with dual screens, but alas.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2012 at 9:20:29 pm

I doubt Lion will break FCS 3. Apple said FCS will work with Lion. Besides, Lion is pretty much done. Mountain Lion may break it, but FCS 3 works in the betas so they say. Even if Lion were to break in Lion, I'd simply revert to an older version. I have time machine backups, I have install disks, etc. I've been maintaining Macs for nearly 20 years. I've reinstalled the whole system so many times. It's not that daunting. It's basically the OS, Studio, and Adobe Master Collection. I'm not much of a plugin guy.

BlackMagic drivers support FCS, Adobe, and X. I'm quickly liking these guys more and more. I also have Matrox and they can't seem to keep X and FCS drivers the same. But swapping out the drivers are really just a matter of an install/reboot. Not that big a deal. They don't work in X for much anyway.

I don't update stuff during a project, so I only gamble my time. Very rarely have an issue.

AJA is out of my price range.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2012 at 9:08:27 pm

1. Nope. It's called FCP X Trial (hey, they keep coming out with free trials every 60 days and I have 2 computers, so...) So yes, you need to put FCP 7 apps in their own folder
2. I never used Motion round tripping since FCP 7 only uses one processor when you're doing this and it takes about 30 years to render. AND, when you make a change to something like transparency or overlay a graphic over it, it has to render again. Motion roundtripping in legacy was lunacy. Render files with an alpha like I do with AE. Which is what I use for motion graphics 99% of the time anyway.
3. I don't have motion 5.
4. I don't know I guess. I forgot about roundtripping. I don't do that. I thought the question pertained to X vs. Studio. Since Motion doesn't come with X, I don't think about it.
5. They say the stock will hit 1000. They also said the DOW would be at 15000 around 2003. I bought stock in January 2007, a few minutes after he announced the iPhone. I've been pretty happy with my 600% return.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]