FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow and output question for mixing SD and HD footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Richards
Workflow and output question for mixing SD and HD footage
on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:17:13 pm

I'm editing together a doc that will use around one-half SD footage mixed with interviews and broll shot in HD. I've been researching this forum and others extensively on the topic, but still have a few questions to make sure I'm on the right track before I get much further. Also may be some new info or strategies I'm not aware of or haven't found in the threads.

Original footage was shot on a DVX100A at 24p (not advanced, 4x3), captured to FCP 6.0 at standard DV NTSC 720x480 29.97. New HD footage shot on a Canon Vixia and 60D at 30p and 24p. Converting all HD footage to ProRes(HQ) at 30p through Voltaic.

Originally was going to downres HD in Voltaic to 1280x720 and mix SD footage to a 1280x720/30p timeline without uprezzing since the resolutions are closer and output was only to DVD and web. But, I've been advised to have a Blu-Ray version for theater screenings. So plan now is to finish the edit and upres all SD portions through a Kona card, since Terranex probably not a budget option.

Question 1: anything major I'm missing here?
Question 2: can I export selections directly from the final timeline and edit out to MiniDV tape with DVCPro, then upres that through a card on recapture? Or do I need to recapture directly from the original tape (60 hrs, lots of TC breaks).
Question 3: This is a low budget doc with an enthusiastic audience. Do I really need a Blu-Ray version? Or can I keep at 1280x720 without upres and output to Blu-Ray and DVD satisfactorily?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
J.R.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]