FORUMS: list search recent posts

Work flow with clips that are 30fps and 60fps

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Benitez
Work flow with clips that are 30fps and 60fps
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:10:46 am

Im working on a music video in FCP and some clips are 30fps and others are 60fps. I set the Sequence to 60fps because the majority of my clips are 60fps and that way I don't have to render it every time I make a change to the clip. But does that mean I have to render my 30fps clips when i make a change to it or is there another way? I want to eventually take this project into After Effects and use twixtor on the 60fps clips. I was wondering if when I go to render out the final project, what would I sent the frame rate to without messing up the timing of the clips to the music?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Work flow with clips that are 30fps and 60fps
on Apr 13, 2012 at 9:12:39 pm

[Christian Benitez] "But does that mean I have to render my 30fps clips when i make a change to it or is there another way?"

Yes. Anything that is different...codec, frame size, frame rate...will need to be rendered.

[Christian Benitez] "I want to eventually take this project into After Effects and use twixtor on the 60fps clips."

Ah...then you are making a mistake. You want to be using a 30fps sequence...as the 60fps is meant to help create smoother slow motion. Converting 60 frames for 1 second to 60 frames over two seconds...30fps...makes for smooth slow motion. Add Twixtor the the mix...it better.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christian Benitez
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:36:53 pm

Ok so I should set my sequence to 30fps and the clips that are 60fps (which is most of them) Im going to have to render it every time I want to preview it? There has to be an easier way. I came across some people saying something about working in different sequences to avoid the hassle of rendering every time you make a change to the 60fps clip. I didn't quite understand how they did that and how it would work. If you know anything about this or another way I would GREATLY appreciate it. by the way the clips are "QuickTime movie" and the codec is "H.264, Linear PCM"

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:53:00 pm

[Christian Benitez] "Im going to have to render it every time I want to preview it?"

Well, you will get a green render bar, but you shouldn't have to render to preview. It should play just fine.

[Christian Benitez] "There has to be an easier way. "

There is...shoot the same frame rate. If you intend to use the 60fps as slow motion only, convert to 30fps via Cinema tools. If you plan on using it for both slow and normal motion...deal with the green render bar.

Or use Avid or Adobe CS...they mix frame rates without needing to render.

[Christian Benitez] "by the way the clips are "QuickTime movie" and the codec is "H.264, Linear PCM""

AH...that's a BIG problem. FCP doesn't work with H.264 well. Not well at all. You should NOT be editing native H.264 files in FCP...period. The footage must be converted to an editable format, like ProRes. No wonder you have horrible render issues, and sluggishness. H.264 is a horrible format to try to work with.

I have a tutorial on how to deal with tapeless formats in FCP. These are H.264...from a DSLR camera, I assume?

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christian Benitez
on Apr 14, 2012 at 4:09:49 am

I appreciate the advice. So when I go to do a final render, my 60fps clips aren't going to speed up or anything because the final will be 30fps? and what editing program do you recommend someone to use?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]