FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode shift when converting to 59.94

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Howard
Timecode shift when converting to 59.94
on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:54:41 pm

Hello There,

I have to send a 30 second spot, which we edited in FCP, to a Broadcaster that demands that it be sent with the usual pre-roll black, color bar, tone, title slate with the timecode at the very beginning starting at 09:58:20;00. This allows for the pre roll stuff to take place and for the spot to start at exactly 10:00:00;00. Al good so far.

But they ask for 59.94 fields per second. However, it was edited at 29.97. So we export a Quicktime Movie (not self contained), bring it in Compressor, export a ProRes HQ file at 59.94. HOWEVER, this shifts the starting timecode to 09:58:02;02... Does anyone understand why this is happening - and how I should fix it. This doesn't happen if I export to 29.97...

BTW. This file is for digital distribution as we are trying to avoid tape....

Any advice will be greatly appreciate.

Sebastian

Sebastian W. Howard
Batchfilms
Sculpting Life Into Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Timecode shift when converting to 59.94
on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:28:12 pm

Is the video at 1080?

You probably should be made aware that 59.94 fields per second is indeed 29.97 frames per second. That holds true for both SD and 1080 HD. So it you have a 1080 edit, you're fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sebastian Howard
on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:49:18 pm

Thank you Dave for your reply...

Yes, the video is at 1080. I guess this business of fields and frames leaves me confused every time... How can I confirm that my 29.97 frames per second video has indeed 59.94 fields in each of those seconds... Is it like this by default? I think I am going to have to sit down sometime soon with a book on this subject to wrap my head around the whole thing...

Many thanks again!

Sebastian

Sebastian W. Howard
Batchfilms
Sculpting Life Into Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 12, 2012 at 9:09:36 pm

You don't have to confirm anything: in NTSC-land, 1080 video is 59.94 fields per second, which is the same thing as 29.97 frames per second. Upper-field first in terms of field order. As you say, by default. Consider it a technical specification.

Oh, wait: there are a select number of cameras that will indeed shoot complete frames instead of fields at 1080. They cost about as much as a brand-new Corvette or a totally tricked-out Cadillac Escalade. Did you happen to shoot on such a camera?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Apr 12, 2012 at 9:53:04 pm

hi there

maybe there is a conversion from dropframe to non dropframe when you convert. or the other way around.

luckly i'm on pal ;-)

grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 13, 2012 at 5:54:52 pm

[Sebastian Howard] "the timecode at the very beginning starting at 09:58:20;00. This allows for the pre roll stuff to take place and for the spot to start at exactly 10:00:00;00. Al good so far.

But they ask for 59.94 fields per second. However, it was edited at 29.97. So we export a Quicktime Movie (not self contained), bring it in Compressor, export a ProRes HQ file at 59.94. HOWEVER, this shifts the starting timecode to 09:58:02;02..."

I'm assuming the 9:58:02;02 is a typo. It looks like a Drop Frame rollover error. Are you sure the originating sequence is displaying DropFrame?

There might also be a cheat available in Quicktime, where you simply change the TC within the clip.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]