FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow and best practise for projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Shaw
Workflow and best practise for projects
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:21:09 pm

Hi guys,

Im working on a project at the moment in Final Cut. It involves about 3 hours worth of footage which has been edited up into 3-4 5 minute videos. It was all filmed in a Canon 5D Mk II and obviously Im using FCP to edit it in.

Im a motion graphic designer so filming has been a newish thing for me and I did a lot of research into the best way to go about tackling this project. The way I did it was take the footage from the 5D and use compressor to convert it to ProRes 422 for editing. The trouble is the project folder for everything is half a TB. Am I doing something wrong? It seems pretty huge for one project. I'm in the process of moving the RAW footage from the camera to an additional external hard drive, so that will save a huge amount of space. Once the projects complete and signed off do I delete the huge 422 transcoded files or do I keep them? Deleting them would save space but then if the client comes back in the future I'd be screwed.

Anyway any hints or tips would be amzing.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Motion graphics - Animation - Video

http://www.shaw-media.co.uk

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Workflow and best practise for projects
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:37:05 pm

How much footage do you have... in time. Hard to say if you did something wrong if we don't know how many hour? minutes? days? of footage you have.

Return to posts index

Chris Shaw
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:41:37 pm

I have roughly about 3 hours worth of footage. Its basically a series of interviews.

Thanks

Chris

Return to posts index

Jack Guthrey
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:50:36 pm

3 hours at ProRes 220 would be around 300GB. Since you said "Project Folder" I'm guessing that 500GB number includes audio, renders, etc. so that seems easily feasible.

When you saw "Raw" from the camera do you mean the native h.264 files? That should only save around 50GB if it's just video.

After the project is over, you don't really need to keep the ProRes as it's just a better copy of the native h.264s. I'd keep those as your "master clips" which you can transcode later if there needs to be any adjustments.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:51:01 pm

3 hours of ProRes HQ @ 1080/23.98 should be about 250GB so maybe you have your media doubled up? If you'd set your conversion to prores 4444 it would be able 360GB plus the original files i'm guessing around 120gb... would add up to half a terabyte? In anycase 500GB for a 3hour project is within the realm of reason.

In terms of long term storage. Hard drive space is cheap, time is valuable. Buy an external hard drive and backup the whole thing.

Return to posts index

Chris Shaw
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:59:08 pm

Thanks Jack and Juan some good points there. Yeah you're right I was including the whole project.

I think once the video is signed off deleting the ProRes files is possibly the best route. Then if I need to do any edits in the future I can just transcode the files again.

Thanks guys

Chris

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:41:23 pm

ProRes is a higher quality codec (requiring higher bitrates, so bigger sizes) than the very compressed native H.264 straight out of the camera, so everyone is correct, your file sizes are within reason.
What I do for the short term is media manage the locked edits so that I'm only keeping the parts of ProRes clips I actually used in the edits (including all other media used), you can add handles if you like, or choose to keep the entire clip instead of deleting parts not used, whatever makes you comfortable, and save that as it's own new project, for each video. Move this to the external for safe keeping, INCLUDING, and you should always do this for acquisition workflows anyways, the entire native H.264 footage, because this is your "rawest" footage. This way, in the short term if the client comes back, you have the edits ready to go and your project's linked media already exists and you haven't unlinked anything. And if you need to add anything, you can pick and choose, or transcode all, of the H.264 clips as you need to. This will save you time and effort later on. When a good amount of time passes and it's obvious the client isn't coming back, then you can keep the project and H.264 files and delete all of the ProRes clips, thereby unlinking them in the project. However the problem with this is if you gave the ProRes special logging info in the transcoding process then you will have to replicate that later in order to relink efficiently. I only do this if I REALLY need to save space. Media managing will save you some space already, H.264 doesn't take up that much space, and in most cases I can hold on to the media managed ProRes files because like Juan says, HDD is cheap these days. In Media Manager, it will show you the space differences between keeping all the media as oppose to managed media. And you can customize to your needs.

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:52:08 pm

You really should be using Log and Transfer to do this conversion. Here's the workflow for that:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Emiliano Rodriguez
on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:43:49 am

Hi, maybe I can find here the answer I was looking for. My externals HDD are going out of space and Im trying to choose the best way to archive the projects. I mostly shoot on a canon T2i, then log and transfer to ProRes LT in final cut pro 7.

Now, I have a lot of projects to archive. I was going to delete the prores files and preserve the originals h.264, but I did a little test and now im not sure if im doing everything ok. What I did was move the prores files to another location to unlink that files. Then I choose one of the original clips and converted it again to prores. When I tried to reconnect media in the project the warning message about the attributes came up. I dont see that as a big problem. But what makes me doubt is that if I choose reconnet media from the timeline, the clips reconnect in the timeline but not in the browser. if I choose reconnet media from the browser, the clips reconnect in the browser but not in the timeline.

So, thsese are my questions:

1- If i want to preserve only the originals h.264 files and delete the prores files, wich is the best way to do that?
2- If I do that and someday I want to work again on a project archived in that way, what I should do?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]