FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnect issue - unspecified path

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tina Hedegaard
Reconnect issue - unspecified path
on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:54:53 am

Hello

I have a question. I received a project from a client. The project started in FCP7, then at some point they decided to try AVID, and later on they decided to do the editing in FCP. They have not tried to implement the sequences from AVID in FCP. I got the project today and my job is to reconnect all the media.

It seems that FCP has forgotten the filepaths, a lot of media is offline and when I say reconnect the following comes up.

All the media have the original filename and timecode, so it is fairly easy, though time consuming to reconnect. But I wonder if anyone has an idea of why FCP has lost the filepath? I would like to know so I perhaps can prevent a similar thing to happen in the future.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Yours Sincerely

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.0 -5.5
Mac OS 10.6.7

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Reconnect issue - unspecified path
on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:29:50 am

Was the original media and the project file copied to a new drive, which was then given to you to work with on your computer? If so, the FCP project "expects" the media to be on the original drive, which is not connected. You then have to "tell" FCP that the media is now located on a different drive. If the drives both have the same name, and the file path to the media is the same, the media should say connected... I'm pretty sure.

You can select multiple files that need to be reconnected. After reconnecting one, all others in the same location will automatically reconnect as well. Which can save you a lot of time if your doing them one at a time right now.

*EDIT*

Because I quickly skimmed your post I failed to notice the whole point of the question, regarding "unspecified path". Don't think I've ever seen that before and I have no idea why it happened. Sorry.

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:56:16 am

I have seen it when some people has dragged a videofile directly in the timeline, but never when it seems that the project once was setup to be correct.

I have no clue of what my clients has done, but they told me that they had moved the files around a lot..for what reason I do not know.

I am almost done now, I still just curious of what the main reason is.

Yours Sincerely

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.0 -5.5
Mac OS 10.6.7

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:02:05 pm

Media management on this level is just subpar in FCP.

It seems to cache the "Source" location and gets confused when that shows up empty/missing on a new machine.

It's rather boring.

Return to posts index

Grant Wilber
on Jul 10, 2014 at 2:54:49 pm

For anyone still searching for an answer to this issue - I made an XML of the sequence I was working on. Then opened up a new project and imported that XML and it asked me to reconnect all the missing files fine.

Return to posts index

Sally Volkmann
on Jul 16, 2014 at 9:04:02 pm

The XML timelines that I export are blank when I import them into a new project.

Do you have a solution for this?

I select the sequence in the browser, the media in the timeline, and also set in and out points.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]