FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Frame Rate Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc D'Amour
FCPX Frame Rate Issue
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:48:12 pm

Hello all...

I'm experiencing an issue in FCPX 10.0.3 where the frame rate displayed of the footage I'm bringing in doesn't match the frame rate displayed in multiple players such as VLC, MPlayerX, and even Quicktime previous to import.

Here is the scoop:

I cut sizzle reels for acting clients who want their scenes from TV and Movies cut together in an entertaining fashion. I typically use DVD and BluRay discs as source footage. If I open my files (typically .m4v) before ingesting (and after for that matter) them in FCPX, the correct frame rate (most often 23.976) appears in the info panel. However, once I import these same files into FCPX, the Frame Rate displayed is terribly inconsistent and off. For example, I bring in a clip at 23.976 (in QT) and it displays 24.15 in FCPX. Many movies show up in different frame rates (meaning if I import a bunch of 23.976 clips they are all displayed with DIFFERENT non conforming frame rates).

I constrain my storylines to 23.976 as that is the output frame rate I desire, but some shots look less than stellar (slightly jittery or choppy) on output and I can't help but think it's a frame rate issue.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so if anyone has a workaround? Also I was wondering if anyone had a great quality solution for transferring 29.97 footage to working in a 23.976 timeline. I know that FCPX lets you work with footage of all different frame rates, but I think it's a less than ideal solution. I currently use Compressor to shift my stuff from 29.97 to 23.976.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCPX Frame Rate Issue
on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:18:27 pm

Hi Marc. This forum is mostly old curmudgeons that need to use FCP7 to make a living whilst waiting to see if FCPX will work for them or whether they will be jumping ship to Adobe, AVID or Autodesk after NAB.

http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique

This forum is for FCPX users so your question will be answered there if you want to post with them

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]