FORUMS: list search recent posts

replacing audio in clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Oliver
replacing audio in clips
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:14:15 pm

I have a bunch of clips that a friend processed the audio for? I've already started to edit and I just want to swap the audio on the master clips. IS there an easy way to do this? The files are .aiff's.

I am using fcp7

THanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: replacing audio in clips
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:27:15 pm

aifs have no timecode so there isn't a simple way to replace like relinking files. To do that files need the same name, reel and timecode data.

One method may be to use Pluraleyes to match files by waveform. It is used to sync sep recordings to guide camera audio so it might be able to resync by matching processed to original, depending on what has been done with the processed files.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:21:51 pm

If the files are EXACTLY the same length, name, format and number of channels, you should be able to swap them out on the hard disk and have FCP relink automatically.

Make sure to fully quit FCP. Put the old files in a different location on the hard drive for safekeeping. Put the new files in the same folder where the original audio used to live. Make sure the file names are exactly the same. Now open FCP, and now any clips that reference that media should link to them. Double check the "source file" info in the item properties to be sure.

Of course, there is potential to screw things up. So I'd recommend testing this with one clip before you do the whole batch. Probably you'll want to make a new version of your project too before you attempt this.

If things don't work as planned, you'll still have the original audio on hand. Just quit FCP, move the audio back to its old home and open the old project file.

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 11, 2012 at 9:34:55 pm

Sounds unlikely Matt as I am presuming the original audio is a quicktime with video track so moving will offline picture as well. Reconnecting will then only return audio not picture. Even then I have my doubts as the aifs have no timecode.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Apr 12, 2012 at 4:09:58 am

Good point Michael. I assumed the opposite, that the files were separate AIFF from the beginning :)

So yes, my advice would only work if the AIFFs were separate files. But I don't think it would matter whether or not they have timecode. When doing a "dumb" relink in the manner I describe, I'm pretty sure that FCP just lines up the start frames and goes from there. I recently relinked a bunch of files in this manner that were all 1 hr offset in TC and FCP didn't complain or mess up the timing of my edits.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]