FORUMS: list search recent posts

48fps and Syncing audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jillian Caldwell
48fps and Syncing audio
on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:15:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

So I'm working on a show that was shot live on 4 Sony F3s at 48fps. Before they were going to shoot we were told that they would be shooting at 23.97 so we told the audio guys to record at 23.97. The terrible thing also is that we have no scratch track from the Sony F3s to reference because they shot in 48fps. My audio clips are also huge. I have a total of two clips. One of them is roughly 3 1/2 hours long and the other is 2 1/2 hours long. One of my video clips is about 45 minutes long and I was able to sync it to the audio, but there is massive drift going on as well. Are there any suggestions on how to tackle this footage?

Here are the specs for when I bring a clip into the timeline:

Format: XD Cam EX 720p24 (35Mb/s VBR)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 48fps and Syncing audio
on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:09:20 pm

Why did you shoot 48fps? Because of the possibility to do slow motion with the shots? You shouldn't shoot sync sound at that frame rate...there really is no sync for that rate. 23.98...29.97...59.94, yes. As those are editing frame rates, and deliverable frame rates. 48fps isn't an editing nor a deliverable frame rate...thus it generally doesn't do sync audio. You will have to do some futzing with the audio speed to get it right. I don't know the exact math, as I don't think this has been done before.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:13:20 pm

AH....apparently THE HOBBIT is being shot at 48fps. But I assume they are recording audio at 48fps too.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jillian Caldwell
on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:43:43 pm

Me and my post supervisor asked the same thing when we received the footage. I'm still not sure why they did it this way. But it is what it is and its going to take some time to sync this thing. We kind of have a game plan for it now. I was just taking a shot in the dark by posting this.

I'm very curious as to how they are syncing sound for the Hobbit and just the workflow for it. I thought I had read somewhere the reason they were shooting that way was because its easier on the eyes when you watch it in 3D. Not sure. Anyways, thanks for your reply.

- Jill

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:42:16 pm

Sound really doesn't have a frame rate. Yes you can record timecode metadata and FCP loves to stamp a frame rate on audio files much to our collective chagrin.

What is your plan for an edit sequence in FCP? I recommend you get the idiot who thought shooting 48fps was OK to spend time in the edit room explaining how you use FCP for this frame rate.

The Hobbit is using double 24 to increase the temporal resolution for 3D. I suspect they are not using FCP for the edit. I also suspect they are probably working with 24 frame proxies and syncing audio at true 24 (not 23.976) to avoid drift.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]