FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting giant Apple Pro Res 422 file to DVD format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
emily martiny
Converting giant Apple Pro Res 422 file to DVD format
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:31:45 pm

I have an hour long piece of Apple Pro Res 422 footage that exported at 72 GB. I need to get that file onto a DVD to play as a high quality projection for a performance. When I attempt to compress to DVD settings in compressor, I have an output of 8.2 GB at the M-PEG 2 setting. The footage needs to stay in the HD 1080 by 1920 aspect ratio and stay as quality as possible. Is there any way to accomplish this task and fit it onto a DVD?

Also, say, this isn't possible and I need to then play directly from my computer to the projectors, What would be the best codec for that? Because right now, the Apple Pro Res file lags when I try to play it straight off my computer. H.264?

A quick answer would be much appreciated :) Down to the last hours here .. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Converting giant Apple Pro Res 422 file to DVD format
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:58:33 pm

[emily martiny] "When I attempt to compress to DVD settings in compressor, I have an output of 8.2 GB at the M-PEG 2 setting. The footage needs to stay in the HD 1080 by 1920 aspect ratio and stay as quality as possible"

All DVDs are 720x480 - you can get that in Widescreen if you like; but you cannot have 1920x1080 on a DVD.

You can get that with Blu-Ray; you'll need a Blu Ray burner and player; and you'll want to make sure that the discs you burn actually work (Recordables are about 70%.)

[emily martiny] " I need to then play directly from my computer to the projectors, What would be the best codec for that? Because right now, the Apple Pro Res file lags when I try to play it straight off my computer. H.264?"

Best is a relative term. ProRes ought to work, given a decent speed drive. You can test it with drive tools from AJA or black magic. This bears the question of why does it play for your (without lag) in FCP but not as a QuickTime file; QuickTime is the engine of FCP7.

h.264 is a fine choice, I'd suggest the Youtube preset and jack up the datarate to around 20,000 (the preset I think is 8k with fcp7/comp 3.5)

Last, test one minute rather than waiting for the whole piece to compress.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

emily martiny
on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:29:52 pm

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up using the HD DVD settings in compressor and it got my footage down to 4 GB. I have the settings as 1920 x 1080 there, so I think it should turn out okay.

As for the lag issues, it lags in FCP too. I will try black magic and see if that helps. I'll run a quick test of the H264 settings you suggested as soon as this is done compressing.

Does anyone by chance know if it is better to run from a DVD when projecting a feature length film from your computer, or to run the piece from the hard drive?

THanks

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:49:17 pm

"Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up using the HD DVD settings in compressor and it got my footage down to 4 GB. I have the settings as 1920 x 1080 there, so I think it should turn out okay. "

The HDDVD presets should generally not be used. There are no players available for this format. It was the competitor to BluRay and it lost. You can burn an HDDVD on regular DVD media, but you will only be able to play it on a Mac.

Return to posts index

emily martiny
on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:13:11 am

Hey John,

I will be playing the DVD from my mac book pro processor 2.53 Ghz intel core 2 due, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 for the performance. The playback should be okay in the HDDVD format correct? Will the HDDVD burn to a disc in dvd studio pro okay? If not, I will need to stop this compression and rethink my possibilities.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:34:18 am

Again, Blu Ray is your only option if you need HD. DVDSP does SD only.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:10:56 am

I agree with the high bitrate YouTube settings, only because you say that your MacBook Pro can't playback the Prores file smoothly. Some questions-

1) Was the export from FCP using: File> Export with "current settings"?
2) What is the MacBooks internal hard drive model (open Utilities> System Information> Hardware> Serial-ATA)?
3) Is the drive near full capacity?
4) Do you have a FW800 external drive that you could play the Prores file from?

If an HDDVD plays fine in your MacBook Pro and looks great when projected during the event, well, I guess it gets the job done but it is a dead format and should just be disregarded IMO.

When doing lots of tests like this, just use a short piece of the video. This way encodes, conversions, burns etc. don't take very long and therefore you can find the method that works best for your situation, much more quickly.

Return to posts index

emily martiny
on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:29:28 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I used current settings in my final cut because I wanted a full quality version. The H 264 test outputs had artifacts in parts of the film.

I have decided to bring it down to H264 anyways because that way it runs straight from the video graphics card I believe. I'm not sure about the youtube settings, but I have compressed into both quicktime H264 and Mpeg-4. The problem is I haven't had a chance to test in the venue, we are using a special scrim that is 25 feet wide, so I wanted to make sure I had all the options available for the test.

Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02, should I search for a computer that has a higher serial ATA?

I have about 70 GB free on my hard drive, I also have a G raid I can play from and will test the file there tonight. The show is tomorrow! :)

I've ditched the HDDVD settings, as recommended, thank you.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:31:20 am

[emily martiny] " I used current settings"

Good :)

[emily martiny] "Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02, should I search for a computer that has a higher serial ATA?"

It looks like that is a 250GB 1.5Gb/s 5400 rpm drive, not ideal for video work. FWIW, last year I installed the OWC Data doubler in my MBP. One drive for the OS and apps, the other for media (both drives are WD Scorpio Black, WD5000BEKT). I'm very happy with it.

[emily martiny] "I have about 70 GB free on my hard drive"

The closer the drive gets to full capacity, the slower the performance. A typical rule of thumb is don't go above 80% capacity.

[emily martiny] "I also have a G raid I can play from and will test the file there tonight."

I'm hoping the Prores will play smoothly from your G.

Return to posts index

Richard Jenkins
on Jan 19, 2013 at 6:56:06 pm

Hi, new here. Question: I have a project shot on Sony XD Cam converted at FCP X import to Pro Res 422 (1080p, 23.98fps). Edited on FCP X to seventy five minutes in length. Need to burn DVD's in both NTSC and PAL formats on my MacBook Pro. Do not have Compressor. Can this be done and how? If so, what type of blank DVD's are needed to be able to be played on DVD players of all ages?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]