FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finalizing My First Major Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Broggi Khaikin
Finalizing My First Major Workflow
on Apr 8, 2012 at 9:05:49 pm

About to start my first major edit of festival film.

The film is now wrapped and I wanted to share my master workflow with the CC community and get any feedback if anyone is interested.

1. Convert all footage (Canon 5D and 7D MOV's) using MPEG STREAMCLIP into Apple ProRes 422

2. Sync all converted footage in Dual Eyes with mic'd stereo audio into Scene/Take structure

3. Begin the EDL Process.

4. Edit Scene by scene as separate sequences in FCP.

5. Merge sequences into master sequence.

6. Begin mastering process (Color/Audio correction, i.e. new forum post).

Any Thoughts ?

Thanks CC community always amazed this exists.

--
weightclasses.us

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Finalizing My First Major Workflow
on Apr 8, 2012 at 10:52:10 pm

[Broggi Khaikin] "1. Convert all footage (Canon 5D and 7D MOV's) using MPEG STREAMCLIP into Apple ProRes 422"

Use the Canon E1 plug-in instead of MPEG Streamclip. This will enable you to use FCP's Log and Transfer.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 9, 2012 at 12:47:13 pm

Ditto. AND, when you get to the color grading, try DaVinci Resolve.

Return to posts index

Broggi Khaikin
on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:40:04 pm

Bret,

I was going to use Colorista as its easy to earn and produces a great finish ( I am going B&W).

Any tips on the syncing audio ?

I am trying to wrap my head around how to sync audio before or after converting to Pro Res.

Again with the stipulation that I don't want to Log and Transfer before audio is synced, but again, if thats what I have to do, I'll do it.

--
weightclasses.us

Return to posts index

Broggi Khaikin
on Apr 9, 2012 at 6:26:07 pm

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am instinctively hesitant to do FCP's Log and Transfer process without master audio being synced. If I'm going to be making notes on each shot/take - I want to look at the final synced product so I can note any glitches with the sound? Thus the batch processing in MPEG Streamclip...

So perhaps I should sync with Dual Eyes before I log and transfer? But I was advised to sync audio after converting to ProRes.

For example: I don't want to go through each clip, mark one as a gem, then after syncing, realize that an audio glitch renders the take unusable.

Any thoughts to that? I am complete newb and if I have to Log and Transfer, THEN sync, THEN begin the edit, so be it.

Really looking to learn how people work and incorporate it as I start my adventure.

--
weightclasses.us

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:23:22 pm

[Broggi Khaikin] "6. Begin mastering process (Color/Audio correction,"

How are you going to master? FCP, COLOR or any third party application?

MPEGStreamclip is not going to give you reelname and time-code, so you can not use EDLs to transfer your project.

[Broggi Khaikin] "I don't want to go through each clip, mark one as a gem, then after syncing, realize that an audio glitch renders the take unusable."

You can always go for ADR. Why give so much importance to a glitch , when what you should be looking at is overall performance?

Pradip Patil
Mumbai,India

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Apr 9, 2012 at 10:07:33 pm

Since this is the FCP forum and not FCPX I'm assuming you are cutting in FCP7?

Agreed with all above, MPEG Streamclip is a great app, but won't give you logging features or TC. Use T&L or Compressor (which also batches btw). Convert to ProRes 422 (H.264 is not an editing codec and will not edit smoothly in real time = headaches). I've used 422 HQ before, but that's because I have the RAID and bandwidth. For the Canon cameras, there isn't enough info in the H.264 to warrant HQ, 422 will be just fine. Then sync audio after you choose your buys and holds. If you have the hdd space and bandwidth, I generally transcode all of it, so I can see everything in high resolution smoothly on my reference monitor. The performance and the video should be what you are looking for first, and of course audio is very important, but audio is a little easier to fix rather than bad exposure, wrong settings causing too much motion blur, out of focus, etc. If there is a glitch in the master audio, an audio engineer will have lots of tricks up his/her sleeves to hide it such as ADR or foley, etc. You also have the camera audio, which isn't the greatest, but you can use it (with some processing of course) to fix small problems. I've had to do that a few times from the 5DMKII and 7D at times and it worked out fine (I still notice slight differences because I'm the filmmaker, I'm looking/listening for it, but the audience probably will not notice it at all, in most cases).

Keep it ProRes 422 settings all the way through to mastering.

So, transcode then sync audio to chosen takes. Your head will feel better.

Hope this helps.

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index

Broggi Khaikin
on Apr 9, 2012 at 10:14:00 pm

I'm literally staring at my computer wondering who the hell can I get to answer this.

"So, transcode then sync audio to chosen takes. Your head will feel better."

Yup.

I officially owe Joseph Hung a beer. I'll start by following you Twitter and giving you a FB like.

See you at Sundance.

--
weightclasses.us

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:20:20 am

"So, transcode then sync audio to chosen takes"

I don't get it. Too cheap to hire an editor and too lazy to sync all takes yourself?

Return to posts index

Broggi Khaikin
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:12:24 am

Спасибо за помощь.

--
weightclasses.us

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:41:54 pm

Да пока не за что.

It is very common to use parts of different takes of the same shot because the beginning and ending of a take might be good but there might be something wrong in the middle. Don't shoot yourself in the foot – sync everything. Going back to preparing footage in the middle of editing is distracting. Prepare everything then edit.

Don't spend too much time watching them one by one. Sync, drop every shot for a particular scene to the timeline and watch everything in context.

Don't create a separate sequence for each scene. It will slow down FCP and it will slow down you. Create one sequence for takes and another for your edit. Drop every shot for the first scene to the "Takes" sequence, watch and cut to the "Edit" sequence. People won't watch your film scene by scene. You shouldn't either.

Don't try to polish your first scene to perfection. As long as it starts to make sense what's going on in it go to the next scene. Clear everything from the "Takes" sequence and drop all shots and takes for the second scene there. Cut to the "Edit" sequence.

That will get you to the rough cut of your film much sooner. Watch it and see if the story makes sense. You might realize that the order of scenes should be rearranged or some scenes could be completely deleted. Do it. Don't try to do fine cut until the story makes sense in a rough cut.

Resist the temptation to save every minor variation of your edit in a separate sequence. Save only the ones you showed to a client or to a focus group of some sort. It will be your reference of what other people like. You need it. Anything you like you'll be able to recreate because it is what you like. You don't need any reference for that — it is in your head.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Broggi Khaikin
on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:15:29 pm

I appreciate this detailed feedback and kinda like the work flow.

So how would you go about the preparation?

My time concern was 422 transfer each clip (original plan was to let MPEG Streamclip do this) then audio sync (all takes by hand with DualEyes). It will take 8-10 hours.

Revised and current plan - L&T very quickly throwing away garbage and setting in/out points on delayed rolls, etc. etc. then edit & sync master audio using PluralEyes take by take (two camera shoot, one master audio file) then whither it down from that.

However I love the concept of a master timeline. I really agree with that sentiment.

Что вы думаете?

Thanks everyone trying to learn as much as I can. Appreciate all the feedback/time.

--
weightclasses.us

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:22:24 am

[Broggi Khaikin] "Что вы думаете?"

Tough call. I used PluralEyes on music videos where shots are few but several minutes long and you end up with a dozen of angles multiclip. I have no idea how PluralEyes will handle a hundred of two-angle takes. Every feature I cut I sank manually on a clap.

I also needed EDL's and KeyKode pull/cut lists on them for scanning or negative cut. You don't need either so timecode doesn't matter. If you're comfortable with MPEGStreamclip use it. It has batch transcode (Command-B) and you can tell it to run several threads simultaneously. It will be fast. If you can set up a virtual Qmaster Cluster for Compressor it can be as fast too. Either will be faster than Log and Transfer.

I wouldn't waste time weeding out delayed rolls and bad takes before editing. Doing it on the timeline is much faster than in L&T. What I'd do is rename every take from MVI-bla-bla-bla to the Scene/Take and spend as much time on it as it takes. It'll pay back later during edit.

Удачи

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:35:13 pm

Everyone's got their way of working. You can also check out FCPX's feature Sync N Link X. Batch syncing sounds great.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/electric/

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900