FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing HPX500e (DVCPRO HD) and EX3 (XDCAM EX) in the same project: best workflow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Reichman
Mixing HPX500e (DVCPRO HD) and EX3 (XDCAM EX) in the same project: best workflow?
on Apr 6, 2012 at 4:47:07 pm

I'm about to start work on a half-hour documentary that mixes some EX3 footage with a lot of HPX500e DVCPRO HD footage. It's all 1080i60. We'll be cutting in FCP 7 and delivering for broadcast (we hope).

What's the best workflow? Should I transcode everything to ProRes? If so, what quality level? Or should I convert the EX3 footage to DVCPRO HD?

I have 700GB of DVCPRO HD footage and about 30GB of EX3 footage. I've never worked with footage from the HPX500e (or any DVCPRO HD) camera before. Any tips or suggestions I should keep in mind?

Also, a test import of one clip (through Log and Transfer) of the DVCPRO HD footage resulted in a clip with a reported resolution of "1280x1080." What's that about? Is that some kind of thin-raster HD resolution?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Mixing HPX500e (DVCPRO HD) and EX3 (XDCAM EX) in the same project: best workflow?
on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:16:16 pm

Bring in both native...edit on a ProRes sequence.

[Benjamin Reichman] "Also, a test import of one clip (through Log and Transfer) of the DVCPRO HD footage resulted in a clip with a reported resolution of "1280x1080." What's that about? Is that some kind of thin-raster HD resolution?"

Yes. DVCPRO HD at 1080p is even more thin raster than normal (1440x1080). It expands to fill the 1920x1080 space. But yes, it is an anamorphic compression.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Benjamin Reichman
Re: Mixing HPX500e (DVCPRO HD) and EX3 (XDCAM EX) in the same project: best workflow?
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:05:06 pm

Thanks, Shane. It's working well, and the HPX500e footage looks amazing, by the way. Beautiful colors. I don't know what lens was used, but it frankly makes the very, very good EX3 footage look bad in comparison.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]