FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extend edit to fill a gap without using the mouse

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Hutchins
Extend edit to fill a gap without using the mouse
on Apr 6, 2012 at 4:17:01 pm

Hello all,

Looked around the interwebz and on CC and found a partial answer to how to execute what I'm trying to accomplish, but I feel there's a better way and I'm just not finding it.

Here's a still of the timeline I'm trying to edit:

I can select the tail of the clip to the left with the playhead on the tail and pressing the "v" key. How do I extend the tail to the next edit with one or two keystrokes?

I can park the playhead on the head of the next clip to the right and then use the mouse to select the tail of the clip to the left and hit the "e" key to extend to the edit, but I'd like a way to do this without touching the mouse.

If I use the "v" key to select the tail of the clip to the left and hit ctrl+down arrow, it jumps the playhead to the next edit for a moment, but then the playhead jumps right back and I am unable to execute the extend edit function.

Of course there's shift+".", but that's pretty slow for larger gaps. I can hit the spacebar and have the playhead play to close to the next edit and then use the arrow keys to put the playhead precisely on the head of the next clip and hit "e", but I'm looking for something simple and more precise.

Anyone know of a way to fill this gap and extend the tail of the preceding clip to the next with one to two key commands and without taking my hands off of the keyboard?

Thank you for your time.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Extend edit to fill a gap without using the mouse
on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:19:17 pm

Use the BRACKETS...the [ and ] keys...they are the TRIM keys. [ moves a frame to the left, ] moves a frame to the right.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:23:00 pm

The comma and period work too.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:40:05 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the response.

I actually covered this about 3/4 of the way down in my original post. This works for smaller gaps, but for anything over a second or two, it gets a little tedious to fill in a large gap 10 frames at a time.

I was hoping for something like the extend function or "e" key that jumps the tail to the next clip in one or two key commands.

Thanks.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:49:44 pm

I should also add that I can use the ' or arrow down key to move the playhead to the next edit, but this takes the highlight from the tail and moves it to the head of the clip the playhead is parked on, rendering the extend function unusable.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 6, 2012 at 6:50:26 pm

There is nothing that I know of keyboard wise that will do what you want. Other than marking IN and OUT on the gap and EXTRACTING it. But you want the footage to fill that gap. Sorry...gotta use the mouse.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Apr 6, 2012 at 7:05:35 pm

I kind of had the feeling that was the case.

I've tried every permutation of the the ctrl, opt, and cmd+"e" and nothing is getting what I want.

Thanks for the responses.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:11:00 pm

With the playhead sitting where you want to clip to extend to, and the out point selected, or in point for that matter, you type the letter e and it will extend the edit to the playhead and go over anything in between. That would do it, right?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:20:12 pm

An option could be to mark an in point on the clip, pres v, then press shift I and your playhead will go to the in point, and then e for extend edit.

Yours Sincerely

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.0 -5.5
Mac OS 10.6.7

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:56:26 pm

Hi Tina,

This is pretty much it, although I would modify a couple things to fit the specific scenario illustrated in the image in the original post. The method you outlined would be for filling a space backward, same idea, just a different direction.

So for clarity, mark an out point on the sequence, back arrow to the tail of the clip on the left, pres v, then press shift O and the playhead will go to the out point, and then e for extend edit.

Reverse the arrow direction and swap I for O and in for out to do it backwards.

It's 3 steps, but I'll take it.

Thanks everyone!

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Apr 6, 2012 at 9:04:46 pm

Hi Tina,

This is pretty much it, although I would modify a couple things to fit the specific scenario illustrated in the image in the original post. The method you outlined would be for filling a space backward, same idea, just a different direction.

So for clarity, mark an out point on the sequence, back arrow to the tail of the clip on the left, pres v, then press shift O and the playhead will go to the out point, and then e for extend edit.

Reverse the arrow direction and swap I for O and in for out to do it backwards.

It's 3 steps, but I'll take it.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: So it looks like you can use either I or O, regardless of which direction you're trying to extend, as long as your shift+I or O is consistent with your first I or O.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:34:27 pm

I prefer I and shift-I because O is inclusive. Use it all the time to roll-trim when I need to trim more than a couple of frames.

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:45:36 pm

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the response.

This would indeed do the thing I'm trying to accomplish, but the only way I'm finding to move the playhead when a clip tail is selected is to either move the playhead with the mouse, which is what I'm trying to avoid, or use the j, k, l and/or space bar and arrow keys to move the playhead to the head of the next clip, which, to me at least, not very precise and as much of a bother as using the mouse.

I think Tina nailed it though.

Thanks again for your time.

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Apr 8, 2012 at 10:41:03 am

hitting whatever key you have set for the trim monitor (it's the "U" key for me), selects the closest edit point as well, and then you can use your up and down arrow keys to jump between edit points with the trim monitor open.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Edward Brosens
on Apr 9, 2012 at 3:28:29 pm

When selected with 'v' hold down 'control' push the 'arrow down key' and hold, release the 'control key' (still holding arrow down), press 'e'.

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on Apr 9, 2012 at 3:36:12 pm

That's the thing. One intuitive key combo.

Thanks!

-Graham

OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

Yves Bourgeois
on Apr 20, 2012 at 1:29:15 pm

That's great guys! I've been trying to figure that one out for ages, great simple solution Edward.

yb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]