FORUMS: list search recent posts

Esata Drives for Video Files and Backing them Up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Laidlaw
Esata Drives for Video Files and Backing them Up
on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:47:22 pm

Maybe this question has been asked before but I haven't found the answer and I'm getting eyestrain from looking.

I have a 17" Macbook Pro and am using FCP, but currently have no external drive for my video files. I need to do this. I also need a way to back up these files.

I am planning to buy an e-sata Expresscard, probably an OWC Slim.

I have looked into array systems for esata hard drives but they are pretty costly for my current budget.

If I buy two stand alone esata drives for my video files is there a way to back one drive up with another?

Can anybody recommend which esata hard drives are good brands for my purposes at reasonable cost?

Any links would be appreciated for specific products. I'm near Vancouver, BC Canada.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jan

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Esata Drives for Video Files and Backing them Up
on Apr 5, 2012 at 1:43:52 pm

Continue to look at OWC. Their Voyager enclosure allows you to add bare hard drives.

Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital are good reliable brand name hard drives.

Prices on hard drives remain high today due to the floods in Thailand last year. I just paid $119 for a 2 TB Hard drive. Average price is about $150.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:33:03 pm

You can also save by buying a cheap USB hard drive for the backup.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
on Apr 5, 2012 at 11:09:33 pm

Yeah, I've considered this too. I've never backed up an esata drive before but my understanding is it has to connect through firewire to the computer, then through firewire from drive to drive for back up. But I wonder if I could back up by connecting through usb. I guess it depends on the esata drive and whether it has usb connection ability...

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
on Apr 5, 2012 at 11:05:58 pm

Thanks Steve.

I spoke to an OWC rep and they suggested (for my needs and budget) buying 2 external drives, specifically the OWC Mercury Elite Pro http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEAQ7S1TB32M/

He said that I could use esata for my video files for regular use then when I wanted to backup, use a firewire connection to connect the video file drive to the computer, and firewire to connect the drive to the other drive. I guess esata can't be daisychained or something like that?

Do you use the voyager for a working drive or a backup drive?

For my purposes cost-wise the voyager doesn't seem worth it since I'd only be using one main working drive anyway and I'd need two voyagers plus 2 drives to be able to use a working drive then a back up. Or so the tech guy said...

Thoughts?

Jan

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Apr 6, 2012 at 2:35:20 pm

I'm in the UK, and I use FCP6 on an older 17 inch MBP.
I bought this lot from OWC:

Items Ordered: 2
Qty: 1
Item Number: OWCEXP34SATA2F1
Description: OWC Slim ExpressCard to eSATA Adapter for Apple MacBook Pro models (See Description for Apple Model Compatibility) and any ExpressCard/34 slot equipped PC Laptop. Add an eSATA Port to your Laptop - Totally Flush Fitting! New with 1 Year OWC Warranty
Price: $24.99
Qty: 1
Item Number: OWCMEPQ936AL2
Description: OWC Mercury Elite Pro "Quad" eSATA / FireWire 800/400 + USB2 Hardware RAID Dual-Drive Enclosure Kit for Two SATA Hard Disk Drives. Oxford 936 chipset. All cables included. Supports up to 2 x 3.0TB Drives! 1 Year Warranty.
Price: $99.97

And as has been stated already just use USB2 external hard drives for data backup. You'll only be backing up at night in downtime or whatever, so speed of transfer won't be an issue. I backup everything onto matched sets of USB drives - mostly 1.5TB Toshiba, and use CD Finder to categorise all the drives. One half of the pair will live of site and I bring them back every so often to copy new files across.

I probably wouldn't buy the slim Express34 adaptor now if I had to. I'm looking at upgrading to a thunderbolt Mac and needed a hunderbolt to Express34 adaptor. The Sonnet TB-Express34 adaptor isn't qualified to work with the OWC Express34-eSata adaptor yet, although it might work... So I would probably have to but a Sonnet Express34 to eSata adaptor too. The other solution available is a Lacie TB-eSata hub at £200 or so... Hopefully more TB stuff will come to market soon though.

Duncan.

EX1
MBP
Short fingernails

Return to posts index

Evan Crush
on Apr 6, 2012 at 9:57:56 pm

Jan: for the cost I'd rather buy a LaCie 2big Quadra: they call mixed mode something that creates a fast array and a protected one out of the 2 drives it holds. A 2TB version should be more or less the same cost as 2 OWC mercury but you get better speed and higher data protection so...

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10310

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:55:24 pm

Thanks Evan and everybody

I finally decided on

ESATA/USB TO SATA - StarTech SATADOCK22UE
$54.64

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
$119.99

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green SATA3 Intelli Power 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD
$119.99

OWC Slim 1 Port 3Gb/s eSATA ExpressCard/34 Host Adapter
$24.99

A friend of mine is using the StarTech SATADOCK22UE with good success. I really only need 2 extra drives and if I have more than one large project, I can just swap drives.

Crossing my fingers everything will work okay.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, everyone! I'll let you know how it goes, if you want...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]