FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconverting/Rendering finished HD timeline to SD DVDs w/ FCP 7 and Kona Card

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john snow
Downconverting/Rendering finished HD timeline to SD DVDs w/ FCP 7 and Kona Card
on Apr 3, 2012 at 11:00:13 pm

Hello everyone. I'm sure it has been mentioned before but I have searched these threads for hours and have not found an answer to suit my problems. I am a wedding editor. I receive my footage from the shooters who shoot with XDCAM EX 1080i60. I bought a Kona LHe Card thinking that I could set it up to downconvert and speed up my finished HD timelines to QT SD or preferably File>Share>DVD conversion.

Right now it takes 6-7x longer than the footage to achieve this (1 hr footage = 6.5 hr rendering+transcoding).

Is there a workflow method to help speed this up using the Kona card? Is anyone, like me, experience these hurendous rendering times? I have a 2008 Mac Pro Quad 2.66 w/ 8gigs of ram. I prefer to stay away from Compressor if possible as it is a pain to get the right settings and I heard FCP 7 implements Compressor's features in the Share option.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Downconverting/Rendering finished HD timeline to SD DVDs w/ FCP 7 and Kona Card
on Apr 4, 2012 at 1:42:57 am

The Kona is a signal flow device. It is meant to be used to capture incoming video signals, from cameras or decks, and output video signals, to decks or broadcast monitors. The only way it converts is along those paths.

Your footage is tapeless. Doesnt come onto the system via a signal path. Nor is your process for making DVDs. The Kona doesn't aid in the encoding process at all. Won't be useful in what you are trying to do.

If you sent a video signal out to a DVD recorder, then it can come into play. Play out the timeline and press record on the deck. Real time output.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

john snow
Re: Downconverting/Rendering finished HD timeline to SD DVDs w/ FCP 7 and Kona Card
on Apr 4, 2012 at 1:49:25 am

Hi Shane - thanks for the great advice. Is there any hardware card or piece of software that will speed up these crazy render times in FCP?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 4, 2012 at 4:44:57 pm

Faster processors...that's all that does it. Which means newer faster computers. Can't replace the processors in macs.

If you go to 64-bit apps like FCX, Adobe PPro CS5.5 (CS6 due soon)...they use more processors to do the rendering. So it should go faster. SHOULD....I don't have first hand experience. Just recalling what some people say.

You can enable QMASTER to allow COMPRESSOR to use all of the processors on your machine. That speeds things up tremendously.

http://www.streaminglearningcenter.com/articles/accelerating-encoding-on-mu...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]