FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed format & DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Makichuk
Mixed format & DVD
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:56:10 pm

Based on a previous post I decided to use ProRes 422 and 16:9 format with DV50 Anamorphic combined with HD and photos. Project is a 4-5 min trailer for documentary funding.

I loaded HD, photo and DV clip into timeline and it worked, DV had to be rendered first, but all looked good. I exported the test (1 min) to QT file and it looked good again, wide screen. Then exported to iDVD and this is what I got:

Picture was not letterboxed on CRT TV and squeezed in, and HD TV picture was 16:9 but squeezed out.

Any possibility of figuring out the best way to fix this or start with another method.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mixed format & DVD
on Apr 3, 2012 at 9:37:17 pm

What if you use Compressor instead to make the mpeg2?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Apr 3, 2012 at 9:52:23 pm

I'm totally new to Compressor, having just worked in basics, iDVD, etc. I've tried with many failures behind me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2012 at 9:56:17 pm

A lot of those woes can be solved by exporting self-contained QT's of your edit, and using the resulting files in Compressor. FCP's seemingly-handy "Export To Desired Application" commands aren't exactly the most foolproof ways to handle your work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Apr 3, 2012 at 10:08:22 pm

I've done some QT files, 1 minute tests, but not sure where to go with them. Mixing formats is not fun, at least for me, you never satisfy one or the other.

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Apr 3, 2012 at 10:59:16 pm

I have a good file with HD.DV & photo clip, test. It looks great, I just can't seem to get it on DVD. Are you saying I could maybe use Compression to solve that? Via QT file?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 4, 2012 at 2:57:10 am

#42 - Quick and dirty way to author a DVD

Shane's Stock Answer #42 - David Roth Weiss' Secret Quick and Dirty Way to Author a DVD:

The absolute simplest way to make a DVD using FCP and DVDSP is as follows:

1. Export a QT movie, either a reference file or self contained using current settings.

2. Open DVDSP, select the "graphical" tab and you will see two little monitors, one blue, one green.

3. Select the left blue one and hit delete.

4. Now, select the green one, right click on it amd select the top option "first play".

5. Now drag your QT from the broswer and drop it on top of the green monitor.

6. Now, for a DVD from an HD source, look to the right side and select the "general tab" in the track editor, and see the Display Mode, and select "16:9 pan-scan."

7. Hit the little black and yellow burn icon at the top of the page and put a a DVD in when prompted. DVDSP will encode and burn your new DVD.

THATS ALL!!!

NOW...if you want a GOOD LOOKING DVD, instead of taking your REF movie into DVD SP, instead take it into Compressor and choose the BEST QUALITY ENCODE (2 pass VBR) that matches your show timing. Then take THAT result into DVD SP and follow the rest of the steps. Except you can choose "16:9 LETTERBOX" instead of PAN & SCAN if you want to see the entire image.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]