FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-Clip Choking

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Jeffares
Multi-Clip Choking
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:38:40 am

I'm editing a 16 cam angle music video and it is choking my iMac. The video was shot with a combination of 2 Canon 5ds, a Sony HDV and a GoPro. We have re-encoded the files into Apple Pro Res (normal--not HQ)

I have an 18 month old
iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 27" 2.93 Ghz Intel Core i7 16G RAM

Pro Res files are on a 2tb G-Tech Gdrive.

I did a similar video a few years back on my old 17" laptop w/ 16 angles with none of these issues, but it was in standard def.

Overall, it seems to be working fine except the viewer is not showing the cam angles until I stop playback. I changed the files to Pro Res Proxy to make them smaller going for an offline edit, with the same results.

Do I have something set wrong or are the files I'm using too large? What codec could I use that is smaller file size than Proxy and still work?

After checking other posts on the Forum I made sure my Auto-Render is off, the canvas/viewer is set to "Open" and I even rendered the multi-clip, and I'm getting the same results.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jeff

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Multi-Clip Choking
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:44:12 am

You can't do even close to 16 angles with only a single firewire drive. You will need a RAID with at least four to six drives striped together.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jeff Jeffares
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:46:26 am

Thanks for the quick response David. I am about to upgrade to the Thunderbolt iMac & a Pegasus drive. Will this solve the problem?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:43:08 pm

[Jeff Jeffares] "Thanks for the quick response David. I am about to upgrade to the Thunderbolt iMac & a Pegasus drive. Will this solve the problem?"

Affirmative! Be sure to get the 6-drive model, not the 4-drive model - the more spindles (drives), the greater the throughput. BTW, that is something we at ProMAX do carry. Write to me at the email below and I'll be happy to give you a Cow discount.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]