FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overwrite/Insert Sequence Content command still uses nested clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Wais
Overwrite/Insert Sequence Content command still uses nested clip
on Apr 1, 2012 at 8:56:49 pm

Let me start out by saying that in searching for a solution to this problem I can't believe that this has been going on for over 7 YEARS. The way FCP handles "nested" clips is absolutely infuriating and so counter to how I have ever seen any professional film or video editor work that I can't imagine why it hasn't been addressed by the developers. BE THAT AS IT MAY, here's the problem I'm having...

I only recently began working with the the "Sequence Content" edit commands to at least try to mimic the way Avid handles seq-to-seq editing. For the most part it's been successful. Then I had an occasion to go back to an old project and make some revisions for the director. I had cut this sequence before I knew what a headache nests were going to be so the entire sequence is nested clips. No problem, I think to myself, just Option-doubleclick the clip in the seq to bring the nested seq into the viewer and then Overwrite Sequence Content into the sequence to replace the nested clip with the original. Except every time I do it, in any sequence, from any nested sequence, it still just keeps overwriting the same old nested clip. I checked my keyboard map, I tried Command-Overwrite to be sure it wasn't a problem with the shortcut keys, but it just keeps ignoring the "Sequence Content" part of the command and just giving me the nested clip. Seems like such a paltry little thing, but it is officially driving me insane now. Any suggestions?

- eric wais.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Overwrite/Insert Sequence Content command still uses nested clip
on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:45:19 pm

Avoid nests. FCP is hopeless and that will not change. Open the nest and copy paste the contents to the new sequence. It is much easier to copy paste between sequences.

Eventually for post finishing, all the nests will have to be done like this anyway.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:05:05 am

Open the nested sequence, copy the clips then paste them in the new sequence.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:40:20 am

And, editing h.264 material isn't helping your cause either Eric. If you search this forum you will find a few billion posts alerting you to the fact that h.264 has to be transcoded to an editing codec before editing begins.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2012 at 3:53:04 am

I'm not sure where the "Overwrite Sequence Content" is found as it's not listed in the manual. Here's a little cleaner workaround other than copy/paste.

First drag the nest to a bin. Then drag to the viewer. From there, shift+cmd drag it back to the timeline or drag to insert or overwrite button in the canvas window for more 3 pt edit type accuracy.

When you open anything from the timeline in the viewer, it's essentially opening the clip in the sequence, in the viewer. More for the purpose of editing the clip into another sequence or back onto the timeline later. You'll see there is only 1 video track and probably just two audio tracks in the patch bay. If you drag a sequence from a bin to the viewer, you'll see at least as many tracks as there are tracks in your target sequence. Oddly, you'll have to manually add tracks if you don't have enough.

So, well, heck, there's something.

And another method often missed which usually works. Step in (open) the nest by double clicking on it. Mark your in/outs there. You can also use the autoselects to choose target tracks to select if you don't want them all. Then press option+a. You'll see a highlighted range more akin to Avid. It isn't limited to the clips. Option+A can the content of portions of a clip(s). Now copy. Go back to the sequence and do a paste (overwrite) or a paste insert (insert).

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2012 at 4:02:31 am

Ah, I found the overwrite sequence content command. It does exactly what the hot key combo does I found. (shift+cmd+drag)

Unfortunately when you open a nested sequence from within a sequence into the viewer, it's a clip, not a sequence. The command you want to use only works if you open a sequence in the viewer. IOW you won't see the little dots in the scrub area. It should be plan white, except for any marks.

So the only workaround to do it the way you wish is to drag to a bin, then drag to viewer. THEN you can patch and mark to your hearts content and use the overwrite sequence content command.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]