moving Final Cut Pro 7 document to another computer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Kraft
moving Final Cut Pro 7 document to another computer
on Apr 1, 2012 at 4:47:08 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to Final Cut Pro 7.

I have a FCP 7 project that I have worked on, but have not not yet exported the final version to a Quicktime movie, which is the ultimate goal.

I need to move to a different computer, and I am wondering how to transfer all of the files that I need from this project to the other computer. Currently, I have reset my Scratch Disc to my external hard drive and saved the project there. Will that be enough to ensure that all of the video clips and sound files will be connected when I end up working on another computer in a few days?

Sorry that this is such a basic question - FCP's file management is confusing me at this point. If someone could let me know the correct way to transfer a FCP7 project file to another computer WITH all media connected I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: moving Final Cut Pro 7 document to another computer
on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:35:07 pm

You can move the project file on that external, but you also must have all of the media files on it as well. To make sure, it's all OK, just open that copy, and in the column header in the Browser next to the name column, click there to reveal a list of unused column header names. Select "Show Source" to show the path names to the media files the clips are referencing. Be sure that they are all on that external drive.

Other than that, there's nothing else to copy from the first to the second computer.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Adam Kraft
on Apr 1, 2012 at 4:09:22 pm

Thanks a lot!

Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:26:00 pm

Where was all your media if you changed the scratch to an external? If after following Jerry's advice and you find the media is not on the external, then use Media Manager to copy the project plus media to the external. This will also make sure the project linkages are to that drive so you won't have to reconnect.

Return to posts index

cristina schippa
Moving Final Cut Pro 7 document to another computer
on May 9, 2012 at 1:04:30 pm

To move a project do I need all the media cache files and the render files ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]