FORUMS: list search recent posts

30+ clips split screen without FCP chugging?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ellison
30+ clips split screen without FCP chugging?
on Apr 1, 2012 at 12:31:03 am

Hi all,

I have a project that requires 30+ clips at one time on screen. When I get them all out however FCP is so slow it's virtually impossible to do anything. I've even tried nesting the seperate shots using their own timelines but that's no use.

Any advice anyone could give me? Would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 30+ clips split screen without FCP chugging?
on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:00:05 am

30 clips means playing back 30 streams of video at once. That requires SERIOUS drive speed. But, if you render, then all 30 get rendered to one file...FCP can play back that one file fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Apr 1, 2012 at 9:57:27 am

Have you tried working with 10 clips at a time?
Then you export those 10 as a single file and at the end just work with 3 files ?

Pradip Patil
Mumbai,India

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Apr 2, 2012 at 7:53:02 pm

My problem is it's about an hour long and all the small images I've made need to be moving constantly. Everytime I try to keyframe a move obviously my system gets very upset.

Return to posts index

Sean Smith
on Apr 1, 2012 at 4:59:31 pm

What are you trying to accomplish? There may be a way to work around this.

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Apr 2, 2012 at 7:54:34 pm

it's about an hour long and all the small images I've made need to be moving constantly. I don't care about quality whilst I'm editing just so long as FCP is not so slow it makes me animating images next to impossible.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Apr 1, 2012 at 5:12:58 pm

try this...click: Sequence/Settings/RenderControl/Resolution/25%.
you'll be able to zip thru all your keyframes...reposition pics..etc. at a fast rate but lower resolution. when done with your composite repeat above and re click Resolution/100%.
if you have already rendered parts of the project you might have to trash those render files before you try the above.
i use this technique all the time when i have have a project that is logo-soup or heavy effects.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Or you could use the right tool for the job...
on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:54:32 pm

[Gary Ellison] "I have a project that requires 30+ clips at one time on screen. When I get them all out however FCP is so slow it's virtually impossible to do anything."

Yeah, that'll happen with so many clips at once. You might want to think about putting the shot together in either Motion or After Effects. Both applications are designed for heavy compositing work.

Now, neither one of them will give you real-time playback. But then, neither is designed for real-time playback, nor is your proposed shot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
Re: Or you could use the right tool for the job...
on Apr 2, 2012 at 7:55:59 pm

I've considered this, but seeing as the images I'm going to be moving are dependent on what's going on in another, or what audio is happening, at one particular time it would be nice to see everything moving at once to get an idea of where to start/stop my animations.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Or you could use the right tool for the job...
on Apr 2, 2012 at 8:04:11 pm

Well, I wish you luck. No matter which application you ultimately choose, 30 layers in constant motion for an hour, occasionally reacting to the audio track to boot, is not a job for the faint of heart.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]