FORUMS: list search recent posts

Puling a Still Frame to Print on a Poster

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Keenan
Puling a Still Frame to Print on a Poster
on Apr 1, 2012 at 12:01:12 am

I need to pull a still frame from from our footage to be printed on a poster.

I have done this but the image is not great quality (looks slightly pixelated), especially when poster size.
I tried exporting the frame as TIFF, JPEG and a Photoshop documents.....all with the same result.
The exported still images were 1920x1080 pixels (same as footage)

The director insists there is a way to export these images that will be good quality for print......he says he's done it with standard def footage.
However I'm not so sure.

There were stills shot on the location which look much sharper (because they are approx 4000x2500 pixels)

Our footage is 1080p 29.97fps shot on a Cannon Mark V.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Any Suggestions??

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
Re: Puling a Still Frame to Print on a Poster
on Apr 1, 2012 at 2:28:08 am

That director is full of BS. 1920x1080 frame looks good printed at 6.4"x3.6". It may look ok at 9.6"x5.4". Anything bigger will look like crap.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:00:46 am

And they are only 72dpi...SD or HD, doesn't matter. 1920x1080 72dpi is the best it gets.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 1, 2012 at 5:51:09 pm

They're whatever DPI you want them to be. Up to 1920 DPI. You simply change the DPI in your print program (PS) or it will do it for you depending on how you set the scaling parameters in the image size dialog. 6.5" wide is what you'll get for 300dpi. The image will be printed 6.5" wide and will be 300dpi.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 1, 2012 at 4:31:31 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "That director is full of BS. 1920x1080 frame looks good printed at 6.4"x3.6". It may look ok at 9.6"x5.4". Anything bigger will look like crap."

Precise on all accounts...

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:33:59 am

[Rory Keenan] "There were stills shot on the location which look much sharper (because they are approx 4000x2500 pixels)"
With this he can expect something a bit better, but tell him don't expect miracles.
They may try some Photoshop plugin to improve the upscaling.
As Michael said, with 1920x1080 you can get something around 6.4"x3.6" with average printing quality (300dpi).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 1, 2012 at 1:52:13 pm

Video resolutions are NOT print quality.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 1, 2012 at 5:54:00 pm

They are at a particular size. SD was another story. But with HD you're able to grab a decent rez magazine shot. But they're often blurry due to the slow shutter speed or camera movement. Just not the same as a nice sharp still.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:05:21 pm

You could try the Genuine Fractals program for upscaling, or whatever it is they call it now - it doesn't add rez, it uses fractals to make the rez you have work over a larger scaled size.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:51:05 pm

Great answer for sure.

I'll bet we'll see a day shortly where someone like AJA, Teranex or other will upscale HD to 4k in a hardware up conversion, you print from that...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]