FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are the best sequence settings in FCP 5 for exporting screen capture video footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Morgan
What are the best sequence settings in FCP 5 for exporting screen capture video footage?
on Mar 31, 2012 at 1:39:48 am

I capture video footage of websites in order to showcase in a demo reel. Using Snapz Pro, the compression type I have found to have the best quality is H264. When I take this footage into FCP (v5.1.4), I choose DV NTSC 48khz for the sequence setting. If I then select H264 for the sequence compression type, when I go to render I get a 'Codec error.'

The only way I am able to render properly is by choosing DV NTSC 48khz for the sequence setting and DV/DVCPRO-NTSC as my sequence compression type. The problem with this though is I get a perfect picture in the Viewer, but the picture quality in the Canvas (and the subsequent exported video) is slightly blurred.

I've been trying to find a solution to this problem off and on for years. I've finally decided now to get to the bottom of the issue. If you can solve this one you are my hero!

Ted

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: What are the best sequence settings in FCP 5 for exporting screen capture video footage?
on Mar 31, 2012 at 4:40:39 am

Change the sequence codec for 8b uncompressed, and render in 8b YUV.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ted Morgan
Re: What are the best sequence settings in FCP 5 for exporting screen capture video footage?
on Mar 31, 2012 at 9:09:52 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, but am getting the same blurry image in the Canvas as before (see attached screenshot for reference).

It seems that unless the sequence codec is set to H264, this problem persists. The fact that I'm getting a codec error though in those instances is what confuses me most. You would think that if both the video and sequence are H264 everything should be fine.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 31, 2012 at 2:59:16 pm

Do you have the canvas set at 100?
Are you upscaling the picture/

Whatever the way you do it, 8b Unc is the codec that will hold the full quality on your original (8b 420/yuv) footage.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ted Morgan
on Mar 31, 2012 at 8:57:52 pm

My god, I think you just solved the problem.

I didn't have the Canvas at 100%. Just tried re-exporting with the sequence set at Uncompressed 8-bit and the picture is looking much better.

Rafael, you rock. Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]