FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p/25p issue recap for poor PALs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto Brancolini
24p/25p issue recap for poor PALs
on Mar 30, 2012 at 10:11:33 am

Hello,
I post this one in the FCP forum because it's where the bulk of the related debate goes on.

Needing a photo camera, I'd have really wanted to buy Nikon D7000, until the uttermost upset got unveiled: the piece shoots no FullHD footage but in 24p. I own a FullHD 25p videocamera whose framerate I can't change, and ultimately, if I gotta burn a DVD, it'll be a PAL one.
I know same price cameras featuring 25p FullHD are marketed, but I'd like to check out every option before changing my mind, because I know there are Nikon-based PALs working.

After reading many posts, I feel like I got these points:
1) conforming 24p to 25p without loosing audio synch or getting artifacts is impossible, unless paying up to 2000$ per footage hour;
2) all in all, it's better to go the other way: from 25p to 24p;
3) somewhere I read 24p videos work better on web than 25p ones;
4) shooting in 24p helps avoiding catching the european lightsources' 50Hz flicker.

Maybe I got something wrong, and I beg you all to correct me.
In your experience, is this whole elaborated talk worth the walk?

Regards,
Alberto.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 24p/25p issue recap for poor PALs
on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:32:02 pm

5) If you shoot primarily in 25p, your second camera must also be able to shoot 25p.

End of story. Unless you enjoy creating problems for yourself, this is the only way to go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alberto Brancolini
on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:08:00 pm

Thank you. I'll go for a 25p device.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Mar 30, 2012 at 10:35:17 pm

[Alberto Brancolini] "In your experience, is this whole elaborated talk worth the walk?"

No, do as Dave says.

OTOH, since you ask:
1) well, sort of - spend time & money and the sync issues/artefacts can be minimised subjectively, but it's not something you want to do if it's not absolutely necessary.
2) not better, not worse, just slightly different.
3) IMO the difference is too small to be worth worrying about, display scanning rate is more significant (it'll look slightly different on different computers anyway)
4) no that's not the case, filming at a rate that's different to the flicker is worse than filming at the same rate.

Return to posts index

Alberto Brancolini
on Mar 31, 2012 at 7:17:20 pm

Thank you, Andrew, too.

I've always been told to KISS, but sometimes I wanted to be sure it's not a kind of justification for not trying.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:42:27 pm

Canon DSLRs shoot 1920 x 1080 and can be changed to frame rates like 24, 25 and 30. You want a camera that can have all those rates at full HD. I thought Nikon was releasing or had recently released a model that could do the same if you prefer to use Nikons.

Light flicker is more a factor of shutter speed not frame rate. You actually want 25 fps when shooting in countries where the mains frequency if 50hz. But set shutter speed to 50th, not 60th to avoid flicker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]