FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Non Drop Frame to Drop Frame

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Matos
Converting Non Drop Frame to Drop Frame
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:06:16 pm

Disclaimer: I have searched these forums & tried a few answers but none have worked thus far, whether it's because of mistakes I am making & not realizing or the answers are simply not correct for my situation. There was a very similar post to what I am going to this post: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1148032

I have edited a music video in NDF (23.97).

I am submitting to MuchMusic (similar to MTV in the States). They require the video to be a XDCAM HD 1080p30.

This is what I have done so far & the video was sent back with the message "still in NDF, needs to be DF":

--> From FCP, I sent the video to Compressor.
--> I chose the XDCAM HD 1080p30 setting & exported

NOW

to my knowledge that 'should' have made it DF but apparently my knowledge is wrong and the video is still in NDF.

The answer that helped the poster above is listed below, but I personally don't understand all the steps involved:

You need to convert to 29.97 first, THEN convert to drop frame. Because 23.98 is a non-drop frame format only. Because you are doing this software only...it complicated things. This is something that Avid MC does easily, just need to take the cut into a project with 29.97 settings.

First, export a self contained QT file. Then, use Compressor to convert that to XDCAM 1080i60 with all the settings you need. You'll need to turn on the FRAME CONTROLS in the Inspector...and for the bottom one, RATE CONVERSION...choose FAST. That is better for going 23.98 to 29.97. But that conversion should make the timecode drop frame automatically. If not, bring it into FCP...change the sequence settings to drop frame, then export a self contained file (no further recompression will happen).

At this point ANY help & education on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Converting Non Drop Frame to Drop Frame
on Apr 1, 2012 at 10:24:24 am

Is it QT or MXF you are delivering?
For QT, it's easy, just import the cip into FCP and use the 'modify timecode' command.
No need to export, the file you've imported will be changed.
(the video itself does not change between df and ndf, just the timecode...)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]