FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to export HD to Digibeta??!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sara petrai
Best way to export HD to Digibeta??!!
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:05:22 pm

Hello everyone,

here my problem!: I've an advert shot in RED edited in Apple pro res 4444 (timeline either 1920x1080 or straight from the red file in 2048x1152) and I need to export in a digibeta.

I've the digibeta deck at work so I can do it by myself and this 'blackmagic' codec apparently.

Which is the best way to export in digibeta??!
without the black bars on top and bottom?

1) new sequence 720x576, apple proress 4444, lower field, copy and paste the edit there. Problem: a strange gap between some clips appears. the clip looks having the same length, so what is that?
no bars in this way but quality look lower even in the timeline and the logo is stretched.

2) export a quick time self contained and then put it in a timeline DV PAL?
bar comes up.

which is the best way please?!
which codec is the best one? is blackmagic the one I have to use?

looking forward a reply
thanks mates and having a good day/night/work....

Sara

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Best way to export HD to Digibeta??!!
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:47:43 pm

DigiBeta is SD not HD, and you don't export.
You will "print to tape"

You fail to mention you i/o card.
You have a BMD card I assume?
If you do, chances are you can down convert on the fly. In other words layoff to tape from the sequence sending out a SD signal to the deck.

Yes, it will be letter boxed, that is normal.

OR you can center punch and make a full screen SD version.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:48:43 pm

Hi

It depends if you want the pictures to be 4:3 or 16:9.

Its possible your BM card can convert to SD in realtime - this would be easy but depends on the card you have. Many can.

If not:

For 16:9 FHA and if you want to do it in FCP then create an SD 720x576 ProRes 422 (upper field) sequence and make sure the anamorphic flag is ticked in the sequence settings.
Then use the 1920x1080 file and edit that into the new sequence,
Since everything is 16:9 you will not get any black bars.

However resizing in FCP is not always the best way to go and you may get a better result in Compressor.
Same process in Compressor - convert to ProRes 442 720x576 anamorphic.

If you want 4:3 then you do the same but do not tick anamorphic.
You will then get the bars top and bottom but you can zoom in to the picture to lose them. Since your source is HD you will not lose any quality in an SD timeline.

Dont use a DV codec as that is not ideal for DigiBeta.

I dont use BM but if you are creating a file you can take to work to output then I would have thought your BM card should be fine with ProRes.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:59:50 pm

I hope all your crucial graphics fit within 4x3 title safe.

I would simply export a self-contained quicktime movie of the current edit and bring it to work; In addition to the Blackmagic card, I presume you also have the same version of FCP at work that you used for the edit. Do all the adjusting on the FCP system at work; don't do it at home.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

sara petrai
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:37:11 am

Thank you my friends!

well, I've FCP7 at home and the 6 at work...
yesterday I did few export from compressor and the 720 pro res one look fine except the TEXT stretched at the end!!!

Yea Dave, is it means my graphic are not 4:3? should I add them later to the timeline for the digibeta?

I've the 1920 proress export as well which I should be able to put straight on the timeline for the digibeta and then print to video? could it be stretch as well?

it will be a problem add the graphic now as thanks to the silly incompatibility between 6 and 7!

in the system preferences to export in digibeta shall I keep the BM codec or proress?

thanks you so much for your reply, can't wait to finish my work and try to do it!

have a good day
sara

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:20:31 pm

[sara petrai] "...yesterday I did few export from compressor and the 720 pro res one look fine except the TEXT stretched at the end!!!"

I'm sorry, I'm confused.
Does this statement mean that there is text throughout the spot, but only the text at the end was distorted?
Does it mean that there was text only at the end of the spot, and this text was distorted?

When you prepared your graphics for use in FCP, did you design them for a 4x3 screen or a 16x9 screen? If you designed text for a 16x9 screen, you need to change it to fit on a 4x3 screen. Why? When the spot goes to Digibeta, the sides of the 16x9 screen will be cut off.

When the text is correct for a 4x3 screen, export the entire spot using Quicktime Conversion to ProRes 422. Take the file to work. Import the spot into FCP at work. Then you can do either a Print To Tape or an Edit to Tape to put it on Digibeta in 4x3.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:21:01 pm

Hi Sara,
I agree with Neil. EVeryone seems to be making sound difficult....Its really simple. If you have a blackmagic or AJA card in your mac, you can just "Edit to Tape" from the HD timeline. Its not "Print to Video" because that wont control your deck. You connect your blackmagic/Aja card using the SDI lead for the video/audio signal and the RS422 to control the digibeta.

You didn't request that you wanted 4:3, so SD digibeta 16x9 will be the same aspect ratio as your HD sequence and nothing should be squashed.

You can export the sequence to compressor first, but your blackmagic/AJA card will do a better job of down converting than compressor will.

thanks
nick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:38:43 pm

American broadcasting specifications allow only 4x3 in standard definition.
Apparently European broadcasting specifications allow 16x9 in standard definition.
I learned something new today.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:46:32 pm

Thanks Dave, I did't know that about the US. Strange to think that 4:3 is still standard for SD. Do people not buy widescreen tvs over there? Most content in the UK, although shot in HD, is still transmitted as SD. We only have a few HD only channels. Bur everything has been 16x9 for pretty much 10 years.

Best
Nick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 29, 2012 at 7:04:25 pm

Despite the vast numbers of HD sets sold, there ars still a lot of 4x3 SD sets in use in the USA.

For example, I have one for the express purpose of monitoring my station's on-air look: are we adhering to the policy of placing vital graphics in 4x3 Title Safe?

I believe the plan is to pull the plug on SD broadcasting entirely... eventually. Exactly when? I have no idea.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

sara petrai
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:29:56 pm

Hello again!

well, I did again all the process:

1) from an HD timeline straight into the digibeta. the picture is fine the text ( logo and phone number just at the end) is slightly flickering.

2)here another problem: when exporting my adverts into 720 apple pro ress, everything is fine for the first 3. the forth one is been shoot in 24 frames and when down compress is all dark and bar.

what a hell?!
I did the 24fps export and export again in 25fps, it comes up shorter.
if I convert is come darker....

will it never end?!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]