FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC to PAL conversion guidelines in Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Anderson
NTSC to PAL conversion guidelines in Compressor
on Mar 27, 2012 at 9:15:03 pm

Hello,

I am to create a PAL format DVD via Compressor and DVDSP from a 23.98 fps 1980x1080 ProRes 4444 master and separate 5.1 audio stems. I am running Compressor 3.5.3.

In Compressor, besides switching the video format in the Encoder pane of the Inspector, can someone advise me as to what settings I should use in the Frame Controls pane?

Correct me if I'm wrong:
Resize Filter: Better
Output: Same as source
Deinterlace: Better (although this should not happen according to the manual, correct?) w/ adaptive details "checked".

Retiming Control -

Rate Conversion: Better (or Best) - this results in a shorter duration, which I know is correct, but what happens if I set this to 100%?

All of this in mind, what is the best method to get the needed conversion and quality and keep things in sync?

Once I have the video compressed, how must I treat the audio via Compressor to match up in DVDSP?

Thanks very much for any info and advice.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: NTSC to PAL conversion guidelines in Compressor
on Mar 27, 2012 at 10:16:03 pm

I don't know if you even need to do this. Just about every PAL DVD player works with NTSC DVDs.

You might want to try it first, because the frame rate conversion from 23.976 to 25 is a real bear to get right. It's actually easier to make PAL from 29.97 video.

If you're not afraid of conforming the frame rate to 25, that would be better.... but I don't know how the 5.1 audio would work out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Timothy Anderson
on Mar 28, 2012 at 12:56:20 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply - it's for a European vendor. When you mean "a bear" do you mean in sync or do you mean the work Compressor would have to do (time wise) or the actual resultant image?

Can I keep my duration the same and still conform to PAL?

Tim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:17:16 pm

Here's what I mean by "a bear":

Your work is at 23.976, which is basically 24 fps.
You need to deliver video which is at 25 fps.

How to you create that extra frame of video every second: do you repeat a frame, which causes motion to stutter at regular intervals? Do you use two frames to create a brand-new intermediate frame, which causes the motion to strangely slow at regular intervals? Do you take the video to a production house that has specialized hardware to do the conversion, but costs an arm and a leg? Do you conform 24 fps video to 25 fps, which is dead simple for video, but cuts 4% of the total running time?

You should go to the ReelVision web site and see if their Twixtor plugin is capable of doing a proper frame rate conversion. You can download a tryout version. It may be able to do the job for you.

But that one frame per second difference is a Right Royal Pain in the worst portion of the anatomy you can imagine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lori Freitag
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:37:57 pm

It is actually the RE:Vision Effects website for Twixtor. http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

Also, we have a tutorial for the frame rate conversions http://help.revisionfx.com/album/19/#/tutorial-47

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:11:47 am

I don't think you are supposed to convert the frame rate at all. 23.98 is in the DVD spec.

In the NTSC world, you generally leave the asset at 23.98. The DVD player adds 3:2 pulldown for old style tvs. Flat screen televisions handle 23.98 progressive with an HDMI equipped DVD player. No pulldown necessary. That is how most "Hollywood" movies are done.

In the PAL world, DVD movies are sped up 4% by the DVD player instead of adding pulldown. Newer flat screen tv's handle 23.98 or 24 over HDMI, just like in the US.

Return to posts index

Timothy Anderson
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:40:18 am

So a PAL DVD can and will playback a 23.976 fps? I thought the 25 fps was a mandatory spec in the PAL format?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:48:48 pm

It sounds like you need to consult with the vendor about acceptable delivery specifications before you proceed further. Particularly the frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]