FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing footage already edited in FCP with different codec footage, i.e. H264 with ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sai Kelly
Replacing footage already edited in FCP with different codec footage, i.e. H264 with ProRes
on Mar 27, 2012 at 11:58:49 am

Ok, so i've an edit with a whole family of problems...

Its 20mins long, H264, sitting on the operating system hard drive (not an external) and is HEAVY with effects and filters. Oh and there was 206 GB of footage in the project file and about 10 sequences. Most of the filters are 'Magic Looks' filters and 'Smooth Cam'.

The reason i have been involved is because every render/export/scrubbing causes either a crash, an error saying 'out of memory', 'general error' or the infamous; "The codec you are using is not supported etc..."

My solution so far has been to cut the film into 6 separate sequences, didn't help, cut the sequences into separate project files, which was more manageable and even tried even using the media manager to copy all the footage used into a completely separate file management system on an external (which failed three times).

What i'm attempting now is (with copies of the original) changing the sequence settings from H264 to ProRes HQ and then (export -> QTMovie -> Current Settings), which succeeded previously but with no Filters. (in the render control settings i unchecked Filters from the Render and Playback section. When this option is unchecked there appear to be less issues.)

I Have tried many different export options; Share -> youtube, QT H264, Export -> QTM Current Settings, Compressor (multiple variations).

Final resort is to start again and import transcoded footage into FCP, but 206GB will be insane to convert and then store as most of that footage was used and ProRes makes the files even larger!

Is there any way to replace the footage thats in the timeline with converted footage i.e. H264 to Apple ProRes to avoid a complete re-edit?

Warmest regards,

S

--Update--
Changing the Sequence settings to ProRes seemed to work. But my question still stands as it would be easier to manage as Rendering of Filters is impossible to view in the edit...

--
FCP 7.0.3
iMac 2.66 Intel Core i5
12GB 1067 DDR3
--

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: Replacing footage already edited in FCP with different codec footage, i.e. H264 with ProRes
on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:14:00 pm

[Sai Kelly] "Is there any way to replace the footage thats in the timeline with converted footage i.e. H264 to Apple ProRes to avoid a complete re-edit?"

Media Manager is the most efficient way to do this. However you've said that this process seemed to be failing. Did you try using Media Manager after changing the sequence settings to ProRes?

The next best way is to transcode everything to ProRes from the camera originals. It sounds like you have around 12 hours of material, so depending on your computer you're probably looking at about realtime conversion speed. The converted files will come to about 1TB of total data, which isn't too bad.

Don't convert to ProRes 422 HQ - just use standard ProRes 422. You will gain nothing converting DSLR footage to ProRes HQ over normal ProRes.

Those are the only two options worth considering. Everything else will result in an extremely long, manual process. I'm not even going to ask why you chose to edit h.264 files on your system drive!

All the best

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Replacing footage already edited in FCP with different codec footage, i.e. H264 with ProRes
on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:47:42 pm

MM has a "Transcode" option.
Try that to Prores.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:18:12 pm

Cheers Raf will give that a go.

Sai

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:23:03 pm

Hi Alex, thanks for responding so quickly, very helpful also!

No i haven't tried that yet will give it a go. Someone also suggested transcoding in MM so ill try that with the original H264 Seq first.

1TB is fine if you have the space mate, but that's the issue exactly. This was the hand i was dealt, im just trying to repair it.

Thanks so much for the help, ill get to that immediately. Sorry for the shortness, deadline is tonight.

Warm regards,

S

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:38:47 pm

--Update--

Project file wont even open now! Unbelievably sick of this.

Repairing all drive permissions as we speak.

Any other thoughts?

S

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:32:25 pm

--Update--

I can't even open the project file now, it keeps crashing. Any thoughts?

S

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:06:27 pm

Trash the FC preferences.
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:28:51 pm

Media Manager and transcode to ProRes422 on an external is the way to go when you can get the project file open. MM requires reel names so you will have to add reel names to the files. This is why previous attempts to use MM failed most likely.

Digital Rebellion makes a free software tool to manage preferences. It simplifies backing up, trashing and then restoring prefs.

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Mar 28, 2012 at 2:17:18 am

Ok this sounds good. Thank you to all involved here. I got the file open again but just from retrying after i repaired the permissions on the system drive.

Michael Gissing : Can you walk me through the MM selection settings please?

File -> Media Manager = window opens.

Media:
RECOMPRESS?
Include render files
Recompress media using : APPLE PRORES 422 1920X1080 25p 48kHz

Include master clips outside selection :
Delete unused media from duplicated items :
Use handles :
Include affiliate clips outside collection :

Base media file names on : EXISTING FILE NAMES

Project :
Duplicate selected items and place into a new project :
include nonactive multiclip angles :

Media Destination:
External HD

i don't see where to add reel names....oh do you mean all the clips i use need the Reel Names added to each one? like all the clips on the HD are in 9 separate folders so i need to go into each folder and rename clips MVI_4672 to MVI_4711; Reel1MVI_4672 to Reel1MVI_4711, going through all 12hours of clips until all 9 folders worth of clips are renamed after their folders?.....um,yeah, this may cause a stroke....

Warm regards,

Sai

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Mar 28, 2012 at 2:44:32 pm

Ahhwhwhwwwhwwhhh!! Geniusssesses.

Just wanted to share the good news. i have a working, scrubb-able project file, fully rendered and ready for more action.

Thanks so much for your input folks.

I left it this morning at 7am compressing (ProRes422) out into a new project on the external hd using media manager and today its all peachy with no errors or crashes so far. Didn't do that renaming of the clips thing that you suggested Michael Gissing as i didn't understand what you meant about the reel name issue, but thanks for your suggestion.

Thank you thank you thank you.

A-Very-Weary-but-Happy-Sai

:)

On a side note, has anyone used the Atomos Samurai or Ninja? I get the impression that this would allow people to avoid all the transcoding hassle in the first place.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:03:48 pm

[Sai Kelly] "On a side note, has anyone used the Atomos Samurai or Ninja? I get the impression that this would allow people to avoid all the transcoding hassle in the first place."
that works OK with any camera with a clean HDMI/SDI out put.
If you are using a DSLR, Canon and Lumix don't have it.
Nikon claims to have an "uncompressed 8b" signal, but still have to be proved and tested.
rafael

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:18:47 pm

Ah bum, what do you mean by clean output? just uncompressed?

Do you know of anything out there that can bypass the DSLR's camera compression, for the 5DMKII?

Cheers Raph

S

(Sorry moderators ill stop this line of questioning after this, as we're moving away into another topic.)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2012 at 6:10:08 pm

[Sai Kelly] "Do you know of anything out there that can bypass the DSLR's camera compression, for the 5DMKII?"

Not yet.

While DSLR's make video that many people like, they remain still cameras at heart. That they shoot video is almost an unintended bonus. They're not well-suited for video production, as evidenced by all the workarounds, ancillary gear and rigs needed for serious production.

I doubt DSLR makers have even thought about an HD-SDI out, which a Samurai or Ninja requires.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:18:37 am

[Sai Kelly] "Ah bum, what do you mean by clean output? just uncompressed?

Do you know of anything out there that can bypass the DSLR's camera compression, for the 5DMKII?"

The picture quality is downgraded and the time-base is messed up with an strange pull-down.
Nobody have been able to make the 5D to put out a signal worth to record.
There are tons of literature about on internet.
RAFAEL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]