FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to exclude (or mixdown) audiotracks during edit and include them at the end for OMF export?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Willem Kort
How to exclude (or mixdown) audiotracks during edit and include them at the end for OMF export?
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:18:47 am

Hi,

For a project we're working on, we will end up with 3 videotracks and about 10 audiotracks in post, which are recorded separately (not in cam).

Two of them will be a stereo mix, the eight others are "iso" tracks.
During the edit, we would like to work with just the stereo tracks, because of the hassle of working with 10 audiotracks. Or mixing down the eight iso tracks to two.

When we're done and have to export an OMF for sound, we need to include the separated iso tracks for mixing.

What is the best way to do this? Nesting doesn't seem to work here, but maybe I' not doing it right.

Thanks for your time!

Best,
Willem

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: How to exclude (or mixdown) audiotracks during edit and include them at the end for OMF export?
on Mar 27, 2012 at 1:03:26 pm

Seems to me that nesting should work OK. Should be as simple as selecting the clips you want to nest together, and nesting them. How are you trying this?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to exclude (or mixdown) audiotracks during edit and include them at the end for OMF export?
on Mar 27, 2012 at 1:49:28 pm

You'll have to unnest before you export the OMF. OMFs can't read into nests. So if you edit this way, chop up the audio, you'll have to unnest each edit point. That will take a lot of time.

Audio mixing starts with the picture editor. Best to buck up and work with all the audio stems. Something I do all the time.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:32:26 pm

Some audio systems like Fairlight can replace a stereo wav with the polywav stems after you OMF. Critical to this working is that identical timecode was recorded on the original polywavs and the stereo mixdown and that file names of the audio are unchanged. Not sure of other systems can do this but talk to the sound post people.

Like Shane says, it is a nuisance but part of the job to deal with and deliver audio assets.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]