FORUMS: list search recent posts

white background h264 problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Reis
white background h264 problem
on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:47:00 am

I need to composite the people shot against white backgrounds in a spot for the web. BAckground has to be white w NO color shift, or even texture in the background.

I decided to key out the white. so I could have my own neautral white. Looked great. Compression looked great on my desktop monitor..but on a laptop you can see compression banding from the falloff of the key..but only on a laptop monitor.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: white background h264 problem
on Mar 27, 2012 at 7:48:57 am

Banding is worse with compresssed 8 bit codecs like H264. Try ProRes422

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:05:21 am

Even if you convert to ProRes, because you shot'll get the banding.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:25:12 pm

Did you use Final Cut Pro to pull the key? Your problem is caused by the key not being clean enough. It could be a simple fix or it could be very fiddly depending on how well-lit the background is and how dissimilar it is to the subjects.

I've done similar things in the past and found one of the best options was to key using the Color FX room in Apple Color and then boost everything until the selection goes pure white.

Another option is After Effects. Roughly cut around your subjects using the pen tool, then use one of the many chroma/luma keyers to pull the key. Thanks to the masking you only have to key out the kits left inside the mask after cutting around the subjects.

Let me know if you need me to expand on either of those suggestions. I didn't want to go into too much detail in case they're what you're already doing. Bottom line is you need to key out the white better.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved