FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Stills from video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony anderson
Creating Stills from video
on Mar 27, 2012 at 1:12:05 am

I have been asked to create still photos that will be used to make postcards from footage originally recorded on VHS in the late 80s. It has been since transferred to DVD. I captured into Final Cut 7 ( not savvy enough with 7 to move onto X yet) I then applied several effect or treatments to bump up the quality of each still image generated from the video. My question is what is the best outflow from this point? I have been trying Quicktime Conversion trying several settings with no success. The pictures appear blurry no matter what settings I try.

Hope you can help

Thanks,
Tony R. Anderson

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Creating Stills from video
on Mar 27, 2012 at 2:43:56 am

The best you can get from this is 720x480, 72dpi. That's the limit of SD video. Export as QT Conversion, as PNG files. Take into Photoshop and Deinterlace. Do your corrections in there. That's the best you can do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Creating Stills from video
on Mar 27, 2012 at 2:56:14 am

A still from professional SD can only be printed at about 2.5" x 1.5" and look photo quality. Print requires 300dpi to look quid, and since SD is only 720 dots(pixels) wide, well, you do the math. An old VHS might be SD, but the discernable resolution would only be half the res of a pro format. It's pretty much going to look blurry at anything but postage stamp size. Maybe you can get creative. Quad split montage, or two images on half with text or something on the other side. Or small images over a large same image blurred. Stuff like that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]