FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 on PC = No Audio: Workaround or Alternatives?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Chaney
H.264 on PC = No Audio: Workaround or Alternatives?
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:38:02 pm

Howdy,

Audio Issue - H.264 on Windows: can't hear audio:
Many of my clients, with Windows, have difficulty playing the Audio in H.264 files I send them. I can't rely upon them to have the most recent version of quicktime installed on their systems and even then they sometimes cannot hear the audio.

Fix or an Alternative?
Are there any workarounds when compressing to H.264, for Windows reliability? What are people using to deliver compressed files to their Windows clients. H.264 has those wonderful small files that help in uploading/downloading, etc. while standard .mp4 is over twice the size... but regular .mp4 CAN play ok on Windows.

**Ideally we could send something out without worrying about what platform they use to play our files.
What are people using for sending files to a group of clients or a work group who use both Mac and Windows?

What to do?

Thank you!
-Ralph

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: H.264 on PC = No Audio: Workaround or Alternatives?
on Mar 26, 2012 at 9:05:14 pm

I use Mpeg Streamclip to SAVE AS and choose MP4. That saves the file as an .mp4 opposed to .mov, and PCs seem to like that better. All it is doing is changing the container. Try it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Mar 26, 2012 at 9:21:16 pm

That seems to do the trick. I then choose H.264 as the compressor and the final file size is just like H.264.mov files.

Thanks. Perfecto.

***Do you know if there a way to do this in Compressor? I can't find a way to select the File Format: MPEG-4 AND ALSO choose something else as the compression (as in Streamclip). I'd rather use Compressor if I can...

Great. Thank you,
R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 26, 2012 at 9:25:35 pm

This is always a two stage thing for me. Compress to H.264, Save As MP4...the Streamclip part only takes a few seconds.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:48:46 am

Shane, this is interesting. So, are you saying you would use Compressor to create the H.264 mov, then use Streamclip to save-as (and re-wrap) to MP4?

I just tried that, and yes, the SaveAs [from H264.Mov to MP4] took seconds. Thanks!

I haven't done any real quality comparisons between Streamclip and Compressor, but I have found Streamclip to be faster. (AVCHD-to-ProRes)
Do you know anything about the quality differences? Links?

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:51:17 am

[Ralph Chaney] "So, are you saying you would use Compressor to create the H.264 mov, then use Streamclip to save-as (and re-wrap) to MP4? "

Yup.

[Ralph Chaney] "Do you know anything about the quality differences? Links?"

None that I can tell. But I admit that I didn't examine it on a minute level when exporting H.264s. When comparing ProRes made by both, it's identical. Use Compressor on a clip, use Streamclip on the same clip...ID each one by who compressed. Stack on top of each other on timeline. Right-click on top clip and choose COMPOSITE MODE: DIfference. If it is solid black, there is zero difference.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:36:29 am

Very cool, Shane. I tried it and it not only worked as you described, but by offsetting the clips a pretty funky look comes up.

It also gives me a better understanding of some of this composite stuff.

Thanks! I now have a great workflow for my Windows clients.
-R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]