FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiclip Playback for Custom Frame Size

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Schoales
Multiclip Playback for Custom Frame Size
on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:20:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

So we have a project where we created SD proxies from our XDCAM 1080 HD footage. These proxies were made through compressor and resulted in an 854x480 ProRes (Proxy) file.

We brought these all into final cut, multiclipped them up and were ready to rock when we discovered that there's no RT Support for custom frame sizes.

Here's the catch: we've already converted THOUSANDS of clips.

The only solution we have right now is taking these custom sized (which is to say, the 480 size preset from compressor which you think would be compatible with the software) clips and placing them in a sequence that DOES allow for RT. The result is that we now have to do RT rendering which results in extremely choppy playback.

Is there another solution to work around this problem WITHOUT re-transcoding all our media? Is there some magic software that would allow us to open up our pro-res proxies and simply change the frame size and save it out so that they are in 720x480 so that they WILL play nicely in final cut? I attempted to do so using Quicktime Pro but it's simply re-scaling them and as final cut is still rendering them in realtime.

I know there were some PC apps that used to let you simply change a frame size hit save and away you went (virtual dub?) but wasn't sure if there's a similar application for the mac.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, especially if you know of a way to avoid us re-transcoding thousands of clips. Not that setting custom frame sizes is much better, but it will hopefully be a bit faster in the long run.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Multiclip Playback for Custom Frame Size
on Mar 27, 2012 at 1:08:23 pm

Um, live and learn.. You need to recompress AFAIK.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]