FORUMS: list search recent posts

Whats the diffs between FIELD DOMINANCE & FIELD PRIORITY ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Granzier
Whats the diffs between FIELD DOMINANCE & FIELD PRIORITY ?
on Mar 26, 2012 at 9:34:55 am

Hi All

Does anyone have a thought on what the difference is between FIELD DOMINANCE &
FIELD PRIORITY ?

Regards

William Granzier
Digital Emotion Media

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Whats the diffs between FIELD DOMINANCE & FIELD PRIORITY ?
on Mar 26, 2012 at 11:24:39 am

I am not too sure if technically there is a differnece in the way the terms are used generally however I think I saw a post where Dave LaRonde used them as slightly different terms. (but cant find it just now to reference)

They both seem to be used in terms of describing field order in an interlaced image.

I have worked in broadcast tv for over 20 years in the UK and have never heard the term field priority used except seeing it here a few times. It may of course be a UK/US language thing.
Indeed I just "Googled" field priority and the first page of results are not TV related at all.
The first thing to appear using the term in Google is on page two, a COW question on field issues then another couple of pages of non tv related entries. I did not look much past that. So maybe its a term that was coined here ?

Obviously if you "Google" field dominance then you immediatly get pages of tv related content.

Which is a pretty long winded way of posting "I dont quite know" however it seems that field priority is not a widely used term - at least not indicated by a simple Google search.

Perhaps others know different.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 26, 2012 at 2:00:22 pm

[Neil Patience] "I have worked in broadcast tv for over 20 years in the UK and have never heard the term field priority used except seeing it here a few times. It may of course be a UK/US language thing."

Some day you Brits are just going to have to learn to speak proper American. :)

Field "dominance" and "priority" refer to the same thing. Some will say "lower filed first" (indicating priority), while others say "lower field dominant." It's just two different ways of indicating the same thing.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:12:52 pm

...and the irony is that neither of these two terms have anything to do with the order in which fields are recorded and displayed.

Field dominance is a property used in video production hardware that determines if video switchers will be able to go from source to source smoothly, add graphics without glitches, etc.

Field order is the proper lingo for describing which field is recorded/played back first.
FCP got the terminology wrong from the very start, and has never corrected it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:43:04 pm

Well I guess they are not entirely unrelated... you want the same field dominance as your field order or you run the risk of field flashes if you edit at a switcher cut point...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:47:55 am

Dave's right. Both dominance and priority are expressions of field order. It all means the same thing.

Ironically DRW, I read recently that Americans speak English more similarly than modern British and that a lot of regional accents in England have been formed over the past 400 years. Americans, although they have developed an accent, are more rhotic which was how English was pronounced 500 years ago. An excellent example is the word 'calm' where the 'l' is sounded by Americans but not by British or Aussies.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:15:30 am

[Will Granzier] "Does anyone have a thought on what the difference is between FIELD DOMINANCE &FIELD PRIORITY ?"
FIELD PRIORITY makes sense when the footage is being de-interlaced.
You can chose which field to keep and which one to interpolate when you are not doing "frame blending".
You find that in most pro deintelacing filters
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]