FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange bugs in FCP - output features wrong clips, timeline ghosting, etc...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Adams
Strange bugs in FCP - output features wrong clips, timeline ghosting, etc...
on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:46:49 am

Had a few weird things happening to me on a project.

1. Every time I would output my sequence to Quicktime, the resulting file would, in some parts, feature the wrong part of a clip. So my edit would be totally off. When opening the Sequence in FCP and reviewing it, it looked correct, but every time I export to Quicktime, different parts of the clips were showing up.

2. When "scrolling down" with the mouse wheel on the timeline, it would scroll past V1 and have tracers of tracks, making it appear as if there were multiple V1 & V2 tracks. zooming in or out would correct this. (See pic)

These two problems would happen even after trashing preferences and repairing permissions. The only way I was able to correct the issue was to export my sequence as a XML and reimport into a new project.

Has anybody ever ran into this problem before? Any idea what caused it?

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Strange bugs in FCP - output features wrong clips, timeline ghosting, etc...
on Mar 26, 2012 at 1:16:38 pm

I've had this problem of the timeline "duplicating" tracks before as well. Usually a quick restart of FCP would solve the issue for me.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Strange bugs in FCP - output features wrong clips, timeline ghosting, etc...
on Mar 26, 2012 at 1:31:32 pm

What format are you editing? What codec?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:39:40 pm

ProRes 422. At second look, the new project fixed the ghosting problem - but I'm still having issues with FCP using the wrong sections of clips upon export. It's very frustrating.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 26, 2012 at 11:15:14 pm

When I've run into this problem it's almost always one of four things.

1. 'stuck' Render files (FCP gets confused and plays back the wrong render file). Solution, empty your Render Files folder to fix it.

2. Corrupt Timeline. Solution, create a new Timeline and copy and paste you work from old timeline into new one.

3. Corrupt Project. Solution, create a new FCP project and copy and paste everything from the old to the new.

4. Corrupt media file. Solution, re-ingest the offending media file. Sometimes the metadata in the QT is bad and everything appears normal until you try and export the file from FCP.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 28, 2012 at 1:17:55 am

Well, things just keep getting stickier here... Trashing the Render files did nothing. Below is an example of what is happening:

As you can see above, what we see in the Canvas window does not match what is viewable in the timeline when we activate thumbnails.

Another example:

Double clicking the clip on the timeline (to load into the Viewer) reveals that the clip is in fact DIFFERENT from the clip visible in the Canvas. An example:

As you can see, the current frame of the clip viewed in the Timeline thumbnails AND in the Viewer is about 10 frames earlier than the current frame of the clip seen in the Canvas. So the problem appears to be that the Canvas is not displaying the correct frame of the clips in the timeline - it's about 10 frames off. This is the case with multiple clips on the timeline.

Also, note that these are SUBCLIPS that I am using in the timeline. However, the problem is not unique to just one subclip or one particular master file - this is the case with several different subclips, all derived from different master files.

Now, copy-and-pasting these clips from one timeline into a new timeline does not fix the problem, in fact, it totally DESTROYED all the edits. What I mean by this is that it took TOTALLY different parts from the master clip into the subclips, and some subclips just disappeared entirely. Here is an example:

In this shot, I loaded "Blockhead - The Music Scene Subclip 8" from the browser into the Viewer - and it displayed properly. BUT, when you see the clip in the timeline, it appears to be an entirely different clip.

So, my best guess is that there is something corrupt with these subclips. Any thoughts on why this would have happened, or what can be done to prevent it in the future? It's caused such a headache...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:13:15 am

How were the ProRes files created? Did you make them yourself? If you open one of files that is exhibiting problems in QT Pro 7 (not QT X) and look at the frame rate (command + i) what does it say (don't play the file just open it)?

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:35:19 am

Yeah, I created ProRes myself with Compressor... but, I think you might've nailed it... the frame rates are all across the board! Funny, I thought Compressor had encoded them all to 29.97, but alas that's not the case. I'll re-encode them and see if they still give me troubles. You are oh-so-wise, Andrew, and I thank you for that.

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:15:34 am

Well, damn, after re-encoding, erasing the files from the project and reimporting the clips, I'm still getting the same issues... All the frame rates, frame size, compression, everything matches now... This has me stumped.

Return to posts index

hanna cheek
on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:13:19 pm

i'm having the same problem and i'm enough of a novice to be scared to empty any folder without being sure its the correct one! is the render files folder found under final cut pro documents? thats the only place i see it on my computer and i just want to be sure i'm not royally screwing myself by deleting everything in that folder before i try it. thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]