FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding Border to JPEG error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Hoge
Adding Border to JPEG error
on Mar 25, 2012 at 11:04:12 pm

Hi,

I am having an issue when applying the "Basic Border" filer to some of my jpeg stills. I am not cropping any photo. All photos are being used as imported into the project. I am applying a 20 px border in white around every photo. On some photos, the border is only appearing 80% on top and left, and not at all on Right and Bottom. I cannot figure out the difference between the pictures it works on and the ones it does not. It should be a simple "add filter". Does anyone know if there is a bug or a quick workaround for this?

I am editing in FCP7. Sequence Settings are NTSC 3:2 Anamorphic, 29.97 fps, Apple ProRes 4444.

The photos are sitting at full opacity on top of an animated background, with a drop shadow applied.

Thanks for your help,
Jen

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Adding Border to JPEG error
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:01:18 am

Hi jennifer,
Try nesting the sequence and applying the border to the nest.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jennifer Hoge
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:08:07 am

If I did that, it would apply the border to the animated background, which is what is full frame. I want the border to be around the individual jpegs that are smaller than full frame, sitting "on top" of the animated background.

I keep taking the border off, rendering the sequence and then re-adding the border, but it still yields the same result. It seems to react differently to different pictures and I wonder if there is something about the original photo files that would cause the filter to behave that way....

Return to posts index

Jennifer Hoge
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:16:12 am

wait... it seems like the jpegs that this is messing up on has one of the dimensions larger than 2000 and even others as large as 4000. I need to make them smaller. I will re-post if this fixes the border issue.

Return to posts index

Jennifer Hoge
on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:07:46 am

*** SOLVED

FCP cannot handle jpegs larger than 4000x4000. If one dimension is larger than 4000, it can result in odd behavior, including what I was experiencing with the border error.

Not to mention an "Out of Memory" Error due to the high dimensions. No need for photos to be that large.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 26, 2012 at 1:38:59 pm

Yeap.
Also, being JPEG doesn't helps.
PNG, TIFF, etc should work better because are uncompressed 8bRGB.
Easier to manage by FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]